Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to erase content from broken screen iPhone 5s?

I recently dropped my iPhone 5s and the screen broke in a way that has made the touch screen unusable. I have insurance on it, and I am getting a replacement, but I have to send back my broken phone. I want to erase all of my content (apps with personal information, etc.) but don't know how to do this without using the phone. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Aug 23, 2015 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 7:54 AM

Hello MAAinDC,
Sorry to hear that your iPhone's screen is cracked and can'y use it to erase the content. That is still something that can be done with a few simple steps.
Start with putting your iPhone into recovery mode and then use iTunes to restore it. To do that, take a look at the steps quoted below to get you sorted out. You will need to do a force restart to get you started.
If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

To put your device into recovery mode, follow these steps:

1. Turn off your device and leave it off.
  2. Plug in your device's USB cable to a computer with iTunes.
  3. Hold down the Home button on your device as you connect the USB cable. Keep holding down the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.
    User uploaded file
  4. When you see this screen, release the Home button. If you don't see this screen, try steps 1 through 3 again.

When your device is connected, iTunes will open. You'll see a message saying that iTunes has detected an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in recovery mode.

User uploaded file

Take care

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2015 7:54 AM in response to MAAinDC

Hello MAAinDC,
Sorry to hear that your iPhone's screen is cracked and can'y use it to erase the content. That is still something that can be done with a few simple steps.
Start with putting your iPhone into recovery mode and then use iTunes to restore it. To do that, take a look at the steps quoted below to get you sorted out. You will need to do a force restart to get you started.
If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

To put your device into recovery mode, follow these steps:

1. Turn off your device and leave it off.
  2. Plug in your device's USB cable to a computer with iTunes.
  3. Hold down the Home button on your device as you connect the USB cable. Keep holding down the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.
    User uploaded file
  4. When you see this screen, release the Home button. If you don't see this screen, try steps 1 through 3 again.

When your device is connected, iTunes will open. You'll see a message saying that iTunes has detected an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in recovery mode.

User uploaded file

Take care

How to erase content from broken screen iPhone 5s?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.