Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb devices disabled pop up

MacBook Pro Retinal Display Yosemite 10.10

Recurring pop-up "USB Devices Disabled Unplug the device using too much power to re-enable USB devices"

I have nothing plugged in the usb outlets.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 23, 2015 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply
3 replies

Sep 4, 2015 12:11 PM in response to jfowle

I have been having the same problem since I updated to 10.10.4 (I am on 10.10.5 and it isn't fixed yet). I have macbook pro retina 13 in late 2013. The got the error message "USB Devices Disabled. Unplug the device using too much power to reenable" for the first time today, however, usually my phone simply does not charge or charges and randomly stops charging. With the same cable however the iphone charges perfectly fine if i use the wall outlet. I also found that resetting SMC did not solve the problem.

Strangely, opening itunes sometimes in charging because the computer suddenly seems to detect that a device is plugged in when itunes is turned on. In 10.10.4 this problem started and I believe it had to do with Photo (which replaced a perfectly fine iPhoto). I honestly hate it when companies try to trade off reliability and stable functioning for better look and feel. I did not think there was anything wrong with the way mavericks felt and I would downgrade if I apple would let me.

Also, a related problem, when I updated from Mavericks to Yosemite, my HDMI out suddenly stopped working, and only in 10.10.4 it started working (but not so well). Every update I think that apple has improved previous issues, but seems like they just keep causing more problems to essential programs (such as mail not working properly with gmail).

usb devices disabled pop up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.