Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

whyis the iphone 6 screen so fragile?

I have two iphones 6 (a plus and a regular). Both got the screen broken after a small drop. I kno wmany other users that are facing the same problem. Should not them replace it for free, as it seems the equipment appears to have a problem not being robust enough?

Rodacki

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 23, 2015 11:39 AM

30 replies

Nov 12, 2017 11:15 AM in response to Owenreese100

Owenreese100 wrote:

I had my iPhone 5c for almost 4 years, not a scratch. I dropped it many times. Upgraded to the 6s. Had it for 2 weeks. It fell out of my pocket, dropped a couple feet from the chair. The entire screen is shattered. iPhone is continually making their phones worse and I don’t know why.

Or, you got lucky with the iPhone 5C. I cracked an iPhone 4 but dropped my iPhone 6 so many times I can't remember and never a scratch. iPhones are reasonably durable but sometimes, you get unlucky. It's too bad but it happens.

Aug 18, 2016 3:40 PM in response to rodacki

Me too. I am extremely disappointed. My 16 yr old son saved money for years and didn't buy any stuff during christmas. Then on his birthday, he wanted a phone. He did some research and finally decided to buy an iphone 6. A day after he bought it, we were headed to Willow Creek Church in Algonquin. I was driving. He was in the second row. He told us "mom I accidentally dropped my phone". Visualize it, he was just seating. My son is only a little above 4ft tall. He said "the screen broke but it landed on the carpet". He was crying so much! I know the feeling because he saved the money for years. I told my wife to call Apple Store in Schaumburg. We got a schedule which was around 7:30pm. When we got there, I explained what happened. The only information I was told is that "sir, it might have landed first near the circle button". ***! I showed him my Nokia Lumia 920 phone and I hit the screen with my knuckles really hard and even dropped it in front of him. I dropped my Lumia phone on concrete so many times and glass is still very nice! No cracks. Anyways, the apple support guy fixed and we f'ing paid $150. This is a ripped off. Apple is stealing from us. I really want to buy an Iphone but the screen's durability is what's making me not purchase it.

I heard another story few days ago, same thing. It was my wife's officemate's incident. The iphone also dropped in her car. The screen broke too. Why Apple? Why are your ripping us off?

Aug 19, 2016 5:32 AM in response to t3cI-Iguy

t3cI-Iguy wrote:

The iphone also dropped in her car. The screen broke too. Why Apple? Why are your ripping us off?

Because glass breaks when subject to impact. Sometimes, you get lucky and it doesn't. Sometimes you think you got lucky but there are very small cracks that break open the next time there's an impact.

This is why there is a market for impact resistant cases and why many people by AppleCare+ or other insurance.

Apple is not ripping your off. It's a sad lesson you're teaching your child about how not to take personal responsibility.

Aug 19, 2016 6:34 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I reread my post again above and I don't see I mentioned that I'm teaching my son the wrong way. You're putting words into my mouth which I didn't write. You're assuming I did that!

Anyways, yesterday on my way home, I accidentally dropped my lumia phone again. My phone doesn't have any protective casing. I'm actually not worried about the screen or body anymore. I'm more worried about the parts inside getting loose. I did some research and found this Lumia 920 drop test video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH4xYN9I5Kw OMG, I just saw this extreme crazy test on the Lumia 920 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3c8il_Q6SU

I also searched for iphone6 drop test video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGxlm82hWDM

Trust me, I really want Apple smartphones because I'm a developer but the fragile screen on iphone6 is preventing me from buying it. I really don't like protective casing. I google'd iphone 6 fragile screen and found numerous posts about it.

Aug 19, 2016 6:39 AM in response to t3cI-Iguy

t3cI-Iguy wrote:

I reread my post again above and I don't see I mentioned that I'm teaching my son the wrong way. You're putting words into my mouth which I didn't write. You're assuming I did that!

Based on your post, yup.

I google'd iphone 6 fragile screen and found numerous posts about it.

Google "alien abductions". You'll find numerous posts about those, too.

Aug 19, 2016 6:43 AM in response to t3cI-Iguy

t3cI-Iguy wrote:

Anyways, yesterday on my way home, I accidentally dropped my lumia phone again. My phone doesn't have any protective casing. I'm actually not worried about the screen or body anymore. I'm more worried about the parts inside getting loose. I did some research and found this Lumia 920 drop test video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH4xYN9I5Kw OMG, I just saw this extreme crazy test on the Lumia 920 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3c8il_Q6SU

I also searched for iphone6 drop test video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGxlm82hWDM

Trust me, I really want Apple smartphones because I'm a developer but the fragile screen on iphone6 is preventing me from buying it. I really don't like protective casing. I google'd iphone 6 fragile screen and found numerous posts about it.

How many times a week do you usually drop your phone?

Aug 19, 2016 7:30 AM in response to t3cI-Iguy

I've never even had so much as a scratch on an iPhone screen. Owned iphone, 3GS, 4, 5 and currently a 6 and an iPhone has been my only telephone since the 4. I hardly think I am extra careful with my devices, but reading posts on these forums, I am beginning to think I am at least not extra careless with them. I simply don't understand people who apparently repeatedly and regularly drop expensive electronic devices all over the place and then complain when they break 😕

Oct 6, 2016 6:14 PM in response to rlourinha

rlourinha wrote:

I also have an iphone 6 and it had a proper cover! I dropped it from less the 1m high and the glass broke into pieces like it was chinese porcelain! From my experience and other friends that had the same issue, I don't have any doubt saying that iPhone 6 is stupidly fragile.

Did the "proper cover" include some sort of screen protection?

As I mentioned above, the screen is glass. It can break when subject to impact. As i mentioned above, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

whyis the iphone 6 screen so fragile?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.