Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP installed new SSD and it doesn't dee it.

I have a mid 2010 13" MBP and I bought and installed a Toshiba 512 SSD. When trying to get the machine to boot up I did command-R while starting and everything looked like it was going to be fine but as it is trying to install OS X Yosemite it is asking me to "select the disk where I want to install OS X" but it gives me no choices. Does this mean that the SSD isn't compatible and isn't seen by the MBP?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Mid 2010

Posted on Aug 23, 2015 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2015 12:18 PM

You need to do this:

Clean Install of Snow Leopard

1. Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc or the Disc 1 that came

with your computer. Insert the disc into the optical drive and restart the computer.

After the chime press and hold down the "C" key. Release the key when you see

a small spinning gear appear below the dark gray Apple logo.

2. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue

button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

After DU loads select the hard drive entry from the left side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive

size.) Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. Set the number of

partitions to one (1) from the Partitions drop down menu, click on Options button

and select GUID, click on OK, then set the format type to MacOS Extended

(Journaled, if supported), then click on the Apply button.

3. When the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed

with the OS X installation and follow the directions included with the installer.

4. When the installation has completed your computer will Restart into the Setup

Assistant. After you finish Setup Assistant will complete the installation after which

you will be running a fresh install of OS X. You can now begin the update process

by opening Software Update and installing all recommended updates to bring your

installation current.

Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1. Download and install Yosemite from the App Store.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2015 12:18 PM in response to vinniefromfanwood

You need to do this:

Clean Install of Snow Leopard

1. Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc or the Disc 1 that came

with your computer. Insert the disc into the optical drive and restart the computer.

After the chime press and hold down the "C" key. Release the key when you see

a small spinning gear appear below the dark gray Apple logo.

2. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue

button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

After DU loads select the hard drive entry from the left side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive

size.) Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. Set the number of

partitions to one (1) from the Partitions drop down menu, click on Options button

and select GUID, click on OK, then set the format type to MacOS Extended

(Journaled, if supported), then click on the Apply button.

3. When the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed

with the OS X installation and follow the directions included with the installer.

4. When the installation has completed your computer will Restart into the Setup

Assistant. After you finish Setup Assistant will complete the installation after which

you will be running a fresh install of OS X. You can now begin the update process

by opening Software Update and installing all recommended updates to bring your

installation current.

Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1. Download and install Yosemite from the App Store.

Aug 23, 2015 12:38 PM in response to Kappy

All I have is a OS X Leopard disc and I inserted that into the computer and tried to get it to boot up with the "C" key but all I get is a white screen. I held the "C" key down for a good minute and nothing happened. I shouldn't say that nothing happens, I do hear the cd drive spinning but the screen is just plain white. Any other ideas?

Aug 23, 2015 12:50 PM in response to vinniefromfanwood

How did you manage to get Yosemite installed on the HDD? You needed the Snow Leopard DVD installer that came with the computer when it was new. Unfortunately, you cannot buy and use the retail Snow Leopard DVD with your particular model. You will need to use the original disc that came with the computer originally. You cannot perform a network installation with the model you have.

If you cannot find the original discs, then you can purchase replacements, if they are available, from Apple:

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

To contact product and tech support: Contacting Apple for support and service - this includes

international calling numbers..

Aug 23, 2015 12:52 PM in response to vinniefromfanwood

Five ways to eject a stuck CD or DVD from the optical drive

Ejecting the stuck disc can usually be done in one of the following ways:

1. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the

left mouse button until the disc ejects.

2. Press the Eject button on your keyboard.

3. Click on the Eject button in the menubar.

4. Press COMMAND-E.

5. If none of the above work try this: Open the Terminal application in

your Utilities folder. At the prompt enter or paste the following:

/usr/bin/drutil eject

If this fails then try this:

Boot the computer into Single-user Mode. At the prompt enter the same command as used above. To restart the computer enter "reboot" at the prompt without quotes.

Aug 23, 2015 12:57 PM in response to vinniefromfanwood

Do you still have a functioning HDD - the one you removed? If so, then put it in an external enclosure so you can boot from it. You can partition and format the SSD using Disk Utility on the HDD. Once that is done you can install OS X onto the SSD.

Install OS X Using Internet Recovery

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your newly installed SSD (this is the out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the SSD as the target. When the default target appears click on the Show Other Disks link below it. Choose the SSD.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

Aug 23, 2015 1:02 PM in response to Kappy

He has a functioning Recovery Partition from his Yosemite installation with which to reinstall, format, partition etc.

I did command-R while starting and everything looked like it was going to be fine but as it is trying to install OS X Yosemite it is asking me to "select the disk where I want to install OS X" but it gives me no choices.

Unless he imagined that. So either he has a disk with a Recovery Partition installed or his 2010 Mac has Internet Recovery options (not sure which) either way he should not require Snow Leopard.

MBP installed new SSD and it doesn't dee it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.