Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please Help!

I downloaded silverlight software on my Mac book pro 13 inch. The reason is, I need to attend online classes which use Lynch software for video interaction. So, I was instructed to download silverlight, and use firefox for it to work on apple computer. I can see the teacher, but the teacher can not see me. I need the teacher to see me. I do not want to purchase another computer. How can I get this to work properly ? Pls Help!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 23, 2015 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2015 2:55 PM

I was instructed to download silverlight, and use firefox for it to work on apple computer.

There are more steps needed, and they are both highly technical and specific to your setup.

You will need to contact your Instructors' Help Desk for specific instructions. Your symptom:

I can see the teacher, but the teacher can not see me.

... should get you the specific instructions you need.

You do not need a different computer. The answer may require you to open ports on your Router or Firewall, among other changes.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2015 2:55 PM in response to alicemalawi

I was instructed to download silverlight, and use firefox for it to work on apple computer.

There are more steps needed, and they are both highly technical and specific to your setup.

You will need to contact your Instructors' Help Desk for specific instructions. Your symptom:

I can see the teacher, but the teacher can not see me.

... should get you the specific instructions you need.

You do not need a different computer. The answer may require you to open ports on your Router or Firewall, among other changes.

Aug 24, 2015 3:30 PM in response to alicemalawi

Ports on Routers and Firewalls has nothing to do with any specific brand of computer. They are used in lots of different setups with lots of different computers. If those help desk guys will not help you they are being JERKs.

Your Router (if you are not directly cabled to a modem) provides Wi-Fi service around your house. It is generally not an Apple device.

¿How is your Mac connected to the Internet?

Aug 24, 2015 4:43 PM in response to alicemalawi

Well there are at least two possibilities. The one I was thinking of first was that you needed to open ports on your Router to allow the data to get through. That idea came from a search for Microsoft Silverlight issues. Some programs (like certain games) do this for you automatically.

The other idea that occurred to me is that you needed something else that would allow Firefox to turn on your Camera and sound and send the data out. I have no idea what that is.

The guys who Should know the answer are the Help Desk guys. There may be support forums for the Instructional software or for MicroSoft Silverlight. Or if there is a support forum for you course, other users may have encountered this and solved it already.

Aug 24, 2015 4:52 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I did a different search and found that there is a preference pane for Silverlight, and it contains the controls, but it is hidden. Maybe this is what you need:

On Macintosh computers, users can access the configuration application by following these steps:

1. In Finder, navigate to /Library/Internet Plug-Ins.
  2. Right-click (or press CTRL and then click) Silverlight.plugin and then select Show package contents.
  3. Navigate to Contents/Resources and then double-click Silverlight.Preferences.app.

This topic describes the configuration options available to end users. It also provides the same links that appear in the dialog box, plus links to relevant developer topics.

If you get this open, and think it might be useful, Control-Click on its Icon in the Dock and choose Options > "Keep in Dock".

from this article:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645084(v=vs.95).aspx

Aug 24, 2015 6:59 PM in response to alicemalawi

That part i posted above shows how to get the silverlight.preference.app to Open. Then look for this tab to get your cam and mike turned on:

Webcam / Mic Tab

The Webcam / Mic tab allows users to choose Silverlight's default audio and video capture devices.

Once that is set up, it should allow your picture and voice set back to the teacher.

Aug 28, 2015 4:42 PM in response to alicemalawi

Open Photo Booth.app (as an experiment) to be sure your camera is working. if you click on the camera icon there, it should show you a live preview of what your camera sees. You do not need Photo Booth for anything, just to check that the camera works -- close it when you are done.

If that shows your camera as working, you may need to post a new query having to do with Silverlight and MacBook cameras to get the attention for this specific problem.

Please Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.