Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to switch camera, iOS device not showing

I have connected my iOS device to the mac and it is successful as it brings up iPhotos and says its connected to iTunes but when I go to record a movie on quicktime it only has the camera of the mac and my iOS device is not appearing.

Please could you help

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Aug 23, 2015 2:25 PM

3 replies

Aug 24, 2015 3:21 PM in response to Ryan.7

Howdy Ryan.7,

It sounds as if you want to connect your iPhone to your Mac and use the iPhone's camera to record video directly into QuickTime Player, is that correct?

As useful as QuickTime Player is, it can only record video using the Mac's internal camera. See this help page for reference - Record a movie - QuickTime Player Help

What you can do, however, is record your video on your iPhone, connect it to your Mac and transfer the video onto the computer, use iMovie to edit the movie and then export the file from iMovie in QuickTime format. Here's how to do it:

1. Record video on your iPhone - Take photos and videos - iPhone
  2. Move the video to the Mac - Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC
  3. Make your video with iMovie - Create a new movie - iMovie Help
  4. Export the file to QuickTime - iMovie (2013): Export a QuickTime file

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best to you.

Unable to switch camera, iOS device not showing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.