Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Links don't work in iOS Apple Mail app

I can't associate it with a particular event but about a week ago, hyperlinks stopped working in Apple Mail for iOS. I've tested and links still work in other iOS email clients (such as Mailbox and GMail). Apple Mail is my preferred client and I'd really like to get it back working again.

I've tried:

• Force quitting (swipe up) and relaunching Apple Mail
  • Restarting iPhone

Haven't yet tried (because it's time-consuming)

Resetting and restoring from a backup

Anything else I could try?

Thanks,

Alan

PS: this text editor really blows chunks when you use it in iOS!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 23, 2015 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 9:15 AM

Good day Alan,

My understanding here is that sometime recently you found that when clicking links in your iPhone's Mail app they no longer open, but in other mail applications on the iPhone the links function without issue. Is this correct?

You mention that you have already tried both quitting the Mail app and restarting the iPhone, both good troubleshooting steps that I would have recommended. I would also suggest quitting all other apps running on the iPhone, just in case there is something interfering with the links operation. See this article - Force an app to close in iOS.

If forcing all other apps to quit doesn't resolve your issue, I am afraid we are down to erasing the iPhone and restoring - How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Safe computing.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2015 9:15 AM in response to Alan Jones1

Good day Alan,

My understanding here is that sometime recently you found that when clicking links in your iPhone's Mail app they no longer open, but in other mail applications on the iPhone the links function without issue. Is this correct?

You mention that you have already tried both quitting the Mail app and restarting the iPhone, both good troubleshooting steps that I would have recommended. I would also suggest quitting all other apps running on the iPhone, just in case there is something interfering with the links operation. See this article - Force an app to close in iOS.

If forcing all other apps to quit doesn't resolve your issue, I am afraid we are down to erasing the iPhone and restoring - How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Safe computing.

Aug 25, 2015 1:02 PM in response to Alan Jones1

This has also happened to me after upgrading to iOS 8.4.1 on my iPhone 6 Plus. I have found that it will work once or twice after a shutdown/restart of the phone, but then it's back to its old ways again.

I normally don't click on links from emails in any event, but I have just a handful (from my health provider, etc.), that make life much more convenient if I can.

Anyway, Alan, you are not alone. I'm going to hold off restoring from a backup, because I haven't added any new apps or made any other changes to the phone in the given time period. (Would prefer to hold out until iOS 9 is released).

Mark 🙂

(I also provided Feedback to Apple at www.apple.com/feedback--they can't fix what they don't know about.)

Aug 27, 2015 3:49 PM in response to Brett L

Yep. Having the same problem, too. Happened last week. ANYTIME I try to click on a mail link that should launch Safari, but it does not, and sometimes I must force close the mail app or it closes and re-opens itself. Happens continually. I really do not want to reset and restore my iPhone (what a pain!) can we have another fix please? Is there anyone out there who has been able to resolve this issue? Why would resetting the phone solve this problem since it happened after I recently updated the iOS to the latest update?? Wouldn't it just happen again??

Help!

BB

Aug 28, 2015 9:30 AM in response to Alan Jones1

I have the same problem. It started after upgrade to 8.4.1. Restarting or resetting will both temporarily resolve the issue (for a day or two) but then the links stop working again. Quitting & restarting the Mail app alone does not. For me this has been the buggiest iOS upgrade yet. iPhone was working fine before upgrade (including Apple Music). Seriously considering downgrading iOS version if this (& other issues aren't fixed soon).

Aug 28, 2015 10:34 AM in response to Alan Jones1

Don't forget to actually give Apple feedback at www.apple.com/feedback for this problem. I'm not sure how closely (if at all) they monitor these forums. I do know that Apple does read every incident report through the feedback link. It doesn't take long (and you can even cut-and-paste what you've posted here). That way, the team(s) involved in the problem see it directly.

Mark 😁

Aug 28, 2015 10:52 AM in response to Alan Jones1

I am glad that the upgrade resolved your problem. However, upgrading is not like a full reset at all, upgrading overwrites or adds the files that are new whereas reseting will give you a completely new iOS - all new files. If this were to occur again here is what I would recommend:

Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > locate your email provider and click on the account. Then on the next page Delete Account. Then do a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything. Then go back to Settings > Mail… and add the account again.

Best,

elcpu

Links don't work in iOS Apple Mail app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.