Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.4.1 freezing issues

Since the iOS 8.4.1 update my iPhone 6 has been acting up. Certain system apps and services stop working after a few minutes of usage. For instance, Apple Music will not work. When I try to go into settings to try to see if it got turned off, upon clicking the Music settings the settings app completely freezes. Same for the iTunes settings and iTunes app. I tried restoring my phone, erasing all content and settings, nothing works. Every time these freezes occur, I check the diagnosis settings and new diagnosis data appears titled "stacks+Preferences" and "stacks+MobileStore". It happens in the mail app as well when I try clicking a link to Safari. I am wondering if anyone has been having these issues and has a fix for them. Rebooting the phone fixes things temporarily but the same issues happen to occur over time. I do not know how to specifically replicate these issues.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 23, 2015 5:54 PM

43 replies

Aug 23, 2015 10:31 PM in response to OldHorn666

On my iPhone 5s, the update install of iOS 8.4.1 failed. I rebooted all and tried the update again. That failed, and pushed me to a restore. The restore pushed me to a restore to factory state, then initialize as new, reconnect with iCloud, and then a restore from iTunes. None of my manually managed music restored. I will copy that over again. All else seems to be in place. Now will have to test.

Aug 23, 2015 10:58 PM in response to 9R

Now i see that the OS is listed as 8.4.1. Shows that way both on the iPhone and in iTunes. Is it really? after all that? Any other way I can check what OS is on the iPhone? Everything seems to be working, including Safari. Since all this happened tonight, I'll have to see if it sticks. Looks at least like a bad installer to me, to have to stumble through all that.

Aug 24, 2015 8:26 PM in response to djconundrum

If we are indeed having the eexact same issue, I can tell you it most likely isn't a hardware defect. I am no longer on 8.4.1 and the issues magically disappeared. Definitely it some type of device breaking bug in the 8.4.1 OS itself. I submitted diagnostic info to the Apple Support and hopefully they can find the problem and fix it for the many people who probably have the same problem.

Aug 25, 2015 2:11 AM in response to Samooorai

Also found the battery on 6+ dropped about 10% in an hour.

Looking at the usage, it reported as the music app (in background) using about 40% of battery.

Killed that and battery usage slowed down.

I having to reboot the phone several times a day to get it to respond now.

iTunes Sync hangs, selecting the music app in settings results in nothing.

So how does one roll back to the previous version?

JC

Aug 27, 2015 9:05 AM in response to mitchejones

I'm experiencing the exact same issues with my iPhone 6 on 8.4.1. The Apple store has replaced my phone twice in the last week and I've set both phones up as "new" and haven't synced them with my computer, just to rule out any possibility of corrupt files on my end. It doesn't seem to help. It'll run fine for a few minutes and then the app I'm in (most commonly Apple Music, Safari, or Settings) will just freeze. It's strange, because I can usually exit the app and the rest of the phone appears to be running fine. However, trying to relaunch the frozen app is usually fruitless. Closing the app completely sometimes helps, but usually I have to reboot the phone to use that app again. Then the phone will work for a few minutes until an app freezes up again and the whole process starts over. This is infuriating!!

Aug 27, 2015 10:01 PM in response to mitchejones

I have been experiencing the same issue with my phone. First noticed it with Podcasts locking, and then found that this is consisent with the App Store, and Apple Music. When I try to download any up or update from the App Store, this locks up and shuts down the app. Currently running IOS 8.4.1 on iPhone 6 Plus.

I have performed a reset from the settings, and this was running ok until I opened the app store, or podcast.

iOS 8.4.1 freezing issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.