Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing the first song played when IPOD is turned on

Whenever I turn my IPOD shuffle on, it plays from the point when it got turned off, even if a week or more has passed since I turned it off. Is there a procedure or step that I can perform that will make the Shuffle begin with the first song in the playlist EVERY time I turn it on? I have a 4th generation IPOD Shuffle.

iPod shuffle, Windows 8

Posted on Aug 23, 2015 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 7:02 AM

Hi cammac49,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that when you turn your iPod shuffle on it starts playing from the same song it was playing when you turned it off. I gather that you would like the first song in the playlist to begin playing when you turn the iPod on.

The iPod shuffle starting to play from the last song played is expected behavior. You do have the ability; however, to choose a new playlist once you turn on your iPod and have it start from the first song.

For instructions on how to choose your playlist and have it start from the first song, please refer to the attached article below.

iPod shuffle (4th generation): Enabling and using VoiceOver - Apple Support

Changing playlists

When VoiceOver is enabled, you can hear the title and choose any playlist you've synced to iPod shuffle. If audiobooks or audio podcasts are synced to iPod shuffle, their titles are also read as part of the playlist menu. If VoiceOver is disabled in iTunes, playlists are identified by numbered order, but not by name (for example, "Playlist 1, Playlist 2," and so on).

The playlist menu announces items in this order:

• The current playlist (if applicable)
  • "All Songs" (default playlist of all the songs on iPod shuffle)
  • All playlists, including Genius playlists, in alphabetical order
  • All Genius Mixes, in alphabetical order
  • All podcasts, in alphabetical order
  • All iTunes U collections, in alphabetical order
  • All audiobooks, in alphabetical order

Best regards

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2015 7:02 AM in response to cammac49

Hi cammac49,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that when you turn your iPod shuffle on it starts playing from the same song it was playing when you turned it off. I gather that you would like the first song in the playlist to begin playing when you turn the iPod on.

The iPod shuffle starting to play from the last song played is expected behavior. You do have the ability; however, to choose a new playlist once you turn on your iPod and have it start from the first song.

For instructions on how to choose your playlist and have it start from the first song, please refer to the attached article below.

iPod shuffle (4th generation): Enabling and using VoiceOver - Apple Support

Changing playlists

When VoiceOver is enabled, you can hear the title and choose any playlist you've synced to iPod shuffle. If audiobooks or audio podcasts are synced to iPod shuffle, their titles are also read as part of the playlist menu. If VoiceOver is disabled in iTunes, playlists are identified by numbered order, but not by name (for example, "Playlist 1, Playlist 2," and so on).

The playlist menu announces items in this order:

• The current playlist (if applicable)
  • "All Songs" (default playlist of all the songs on iPod shuffle)
  • All playlists, including Genius playlists, in alphabetical order
  • All Genius Mixes, in alphabetical order
  • All podcasts, in alphabetical order
  • All iTunes U collections, in alphabetical order
  • All audiobooks, in alphabetical order

Best regards

Changing the first song played when IPOD is turned on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.