Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

(WINDOWS 10) Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table.

Hi everyone.

I have spent hours trying to solve this issue and searching forms and support sites for a solution, but cannot find one...

I am trying to install windows 10 using bootcamp onto my mid 2012 macbook pro 13'.

I have boot camped before with windows 7, 8 and 8.1 with never any issues before.

I have downloaded the 64x iso from the official microsoft website, copied onto a 8gb usb and downloaded the support files using bootcamp with no problems.

When it begins the automatic installation, it restarts, the is just stuck on a black, blank screen.

After leaving for a good few hours without any change I force shut down, then powered on holding option key.

Once I am in the drive boot screen I select EFI BOOT User uploaded file

It boots into the normal windows setup screen, no issues, I set language, time, serial key ect.

Then when I reach the screen where you select the partition to instal to I meet the problems...

I get the warning message "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS."

User uploaded file

So with the partition selected I click format.

The name of the partition changes from Drive 0: BOOTCAMP to DRIVE 0 Partition 4

It loads for a second the a second warning message pops up.

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

And thats where I'm stuck...

I have tried using disk utility to format the partition to ExFat, doesn't work.

I have tried removing the partition and trying again, doesn't work.

If anyone would be able to help me solve this I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks!

Jack

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 12:45 AM

9 replies

Aug 24, 2015 3:22 PM in response to JakJackAttack

Your Mac is a preUEFI Mac. It does not support EFI Boot properly. Your GPU and Audio will be the first ones not to work. You need to use BC Assistant and a USB2 flash drive (USB3 drives do not work). Disconnect all non-essential external storage before you start Windows installation. Use only BCA to remove or create Windows partitions.

Aug 24, 2015 8:09 PM in response to JakJackAttack

1. Do you have two separate USB sticks - one which has the Windows ISO and another built by BCA using this ISO USB and BC drivers?

2. When you partition using BCA on this specific model, your partition is a Hybrid MBR. EFI Boot will refuse to install Windows, but regular Windows icon from the BCA-created USB will work. Have you tried the regular Windows icon?

3. The blank screen is indicative of GPU drivers not working, because EFI Boot's GPU detection is failing. This will also lead to other failures once Windows is installed (improperly and partially at best).

4. Your Keyboard/Mouse may also not work properly.

5. Your USB should be a USB2 flash drive, not a USB3. Do not use any hubs. The USB must be directly connected to the Mac.

6. Every failed attempt leaves the NVRAM in an unknown state, depending on where the failure was. This causes future attempts to fail. It is recommended that the following two procedures be performed after every failure. The NVRAM is also used as a context across 4-5 reboots that Windows Installer/BC drivers need.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Nov 7, 2015 7:17 PM in response to ScoutFire

Use Windows.

Your error is very familiar to me. "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table". You have already used Boot Camp to create the partition but did not let Boot Camp Assistant follow through with the complete installation. Windows 10 will not install to an MBR on a MAC when Set up is booted up from Windows Install Media.

Cheers!!

(WINDOWS 10) Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.