Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Disc Drive selectively reading disc!

I know there are many questions almost exactly like this one, but this is slightly different. I have burnt discs that cannot be read by my computer's drive. Though sometimes it reads them like it has no problem, though it has no problem selectively reading other burnt discs.When I go to try to use other things like my audio CD's it works like a charm! After the disc ejects from the drive, it pops out with streaks on it so maybe something stuck inside? Though this can also be an alignment problem because when I rotate my computer so that it sits on its side, it can read any disc just fine.

I have already tried a dvd/cd laser lens cleaner and does not do anything. I have even tried the cloth and card trick that supposedly gets rid of the dust on the lens, but nothing. I have yet to try the compressed gas trick, but I doubt it will work.

I can burn a blank disc just fine too. Odd.

I do not want to replace my disc drive, but if nothing can be done, then I might have to.

Help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 23, 2015 9:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 11:54 AM

Hi Juki Tie,

Based on your optical drive being unable to read multiple burned disks as well as leaving streaks on the disk, it appears your MacBook Pro needs to be serviced. The following link should help you get started with the process and has links with additional information on topics such as warranty and service pricing, battery replacement, and express replacement service.

Service Answer Center - Mac notebooks

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=Macn otebooks

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Sincerely.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2015 11:54 AM in response to Juki Tie

Hi Juki Tie,

Based on your optical drive being unable to read multiple burned disks as well as leaving streaks on the disk, it appears your MacBook Pro needs to be serviced. The following link should help you get started with the process and has links with additional information on topics such as warranty and service pricing, battery replacement, and express replacement service.

Service Answer Center - Mac notebooks

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=Macn otebooks

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Sincerely.

MacBook Pro Disc Drive selectively reading disc!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.