Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

esume audiobook playback on iphone

Love listening to audiobooks on my iphone 6 plus, but after recent software upgrades it doesn't remember where I stopped and resumes play about 15-30 minutes prior. The books are all listed as audiobook media type and "remember playback position" is ticked in itunes on my laptop and prior to transfer to iphone.

Driving me crazy as I have to keep forwarding to try and work out where i'm up to.

Used to work okay but doesn't now so thinking it must be problem with last apple software update???

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 1:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 12:36 PM

Yes, I see this too. I believe it is a crash of the iBooks app when switching from other apps (or using the button on the earplugs) after the app has been idle for a while (> 20 minutes?)

A workaround for me is to always launch the app, wait for it to load my books (takes 30+ seconds for me), wait for it to reopen the book I was last playing, then wait for it to start playing. The process is painful, maybe I have too many books/tracks (about 60 audiobooks right now).

If the app comes up right away, or the lock screen still shows the controls, I find that iBooks will start off in the right place. If the player is gone from the lock screen, and I try to press the button on the headphones, it will lose my place. But if I do the launch and wait procedure above, it will remember.

If you know you are going to stop listening, I've been able to force it to save the place by pressing HOME, then doubleclick HOME, then swipe the iBooks app up, (killing the app), then relaunch iBooks next time. It seems like it only saves the bookmarks on a clean exit. It would be helpful if it saved at least once a minute, or on a crash.

Hope that helps. Hope Apple is listening. --ed

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2015 12:36 PM in response to Kiwichicknz

Yes, I see this too. I believe it is a crash of the iBooks app when switching from other apps (or using the button on the earplugs) after the app has been idle for a while (> 20 minutes?)

A workaround for me is to always launch the app, wait for it to load my books (takes 30+ seconds for me), wait for it to reopen the book I was last playing, then wait for it to start playing. The process is painful, maybe I have too many books/tracks (about 60 audiobooks right now).

If the app comes up right away, or the lock screen still shows the controls, I find that iBooks will start off in the right place. If the player is gone from the lock screen, and I try to press the button on the headphones, it will lose my place. But if I do the launch and wait procedure above, it will remember.

If you know you are going to stop listening, I've been able to force it to save the place by pressing HOME, then doubleclick HOME, then swipe the iBooks app up, (killing the app), then relaunch iBooks next time. It seems like it only saves the bookmarks on a clean exit. It would be helpful if it saved at least once a minute, or on a crash.

Hope that helps. Hope Apple is listening. --ed

Oct 22, 2015 12:37 PM in response to rgetter

I have the same problem, and for me it's not only when using the play button on the ear pods. My iBook start off hours prior to where I left off. I have been taking screenshots and adjusted the position manually, but this leaves a lot of pictures to delete. I haven't found a solution. But I also have a lot of other strange issues with my iPhone 6 plus. Crashes, no sound when calls/sms etc.

esume audiobook playback on iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.