Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod shuffle won't charge after upgrade to Windows 10

My iPod shuffle was working fine until I upgraded to Windows 10 this weekend. I can use iTunes to move songs and sync just fine. However, the battery doesn't charge. I've asked this question on Microsoft's site, too. I believe my shuffle is 2nd gen. Anyone have any ideas?

iPod shuffle, Other OS, battery

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 4:29 AM

13 replies

Feb 13, 2017 1:20 AM in response to tirwen

This is an old thread, but as the problem still exists, I'm answering here.

I have an old 30GB iPod and it worked flawlessly with Windows 7. When I upgraded the Windows installation to 10, iPod stopped charging. If I just reboot my computer to Ubuntu Linux, the iPod charging works fine, so this is definitely something between iPod and Windows 10.

Feb 15, 2017 11:45 AM in response to kalle_t

kalle_t wrote:

This is an old thread, but as the problem still exists, I'm answering here.

I have an old 30GB iPod and it worked flawlessly with Windows 7. When I upgraded the Windows installation to 10, iPod stopped charging. If I just reboot my computer to Ubuntu Linux, the iPod charging works fine, so this is definitely something between iPod and Windows 10.

Let me try to explain.

When computer manufacturer designs the computer - in order for computer to communicate with anything manufacturer creates software that is installed on the top of Windows - it is called drivers. So manufacturer designed multiple drivers for Windows 7 or Windows 8 computer's internals. In order to update ideally the same manufacturer had to design that software that would also work for Windows 10 but in most cases they didn't. Microsoft in order to accommodate user base that does not have know/how inside of Windows 10 or any version of Windows before build in those drivers integrated in what is called OS upgrade that you had to do. Since there are just so much they can do - they can hardly accommodate any and every piece of hardware that was produced by any and every computer manufacturer for any computer that was made with Windows 7/8. Since there are no proper software/driver - there is no proper communication with device connected to port that driver suppose to help to recognize stuff. Hence the only 2 solutions are

1 Not to upgrade - you still should be able to downgrade. Contact Microsoft for instructions.

2. find out if your manufacturer updated driver for Windows 10.

If you want you can also try to use option number 3 go to Microsoft forums and complain, but there is no chance they will be able to update drivers for everyone.

Aug 25, 2015 12:05 AM in response to tirwen

My first suggestion would be to remove and reinstall iTunes. It'll seem kind of weird, considering iTunes is synching the iPod properly, but there's some low-level stuff going on in the background that could be giving you some issues as far as charging goes.

Apple's support articles don't seem to have been updated for Windows 10 yet, but the suggestions for Windows 8 should work as well. Check out HT204275: Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8. I should note as well that this won't affect your music or playlists.

Best of luck!

Dec 4, 2015 11:33 AM in response to iSkippy227

Both of mine are the same way. They will SYNC, but once that is done, they turn back off and don't charge any further.

The half assed "fix" from apple is to enable disk usage on them to keep them on in itunes. I don't like this fix because you do NOT get the charge indicator (constant orange to constant green) lights and have no idea when it's fully charged. I understand it is still charging, but now you will have to unmount the device every time you disconnect it from the PC/Mac. This is not a fix in my opinion.

Hey apple, would it be that hard to write a new firmware update for these older devices?

Signed

iPad 4th Gen, iPhone 5s, iPod Classic, iPod Nano 3rd Gen, and 2 2nd Gen iPod shuffles, iPod Touch 5th Gen Owner

Dec 4, 2015 2:03 PM in response to NSpectHerGadget

This is probably caused by a feature on some more recent laptops. When a connected storage device is unmounted but remains connected, power to that USB port is minimized to save energy. An iPod is just a storage device to the system. When iTunes finishes syncing, iTunes unmounts the iPod's disk so that you can safely disconnect it without ejecting it first. That's when the iPod's light stops flashing on and off, and its solid color indicates battery status. However, that's also when the system reduces power to the USB port, to save energy. So the battery stops charging.

By enabling disk use, you are telling iTunes to keep the iPod's disk mounted after syncing is done. Therefore, the system continues to provide power to the USB port, and the battery charges (until you eject the iPod). There may be a setting (on the computer) that disables this "energy saver" feature so that power to the USB port is always maintained. Then, you can disable disk use on the iPod.

Dec 4, 2015 3:49 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

My desktop was rebuilt about 3 years ago. It happens on there, my even older laptop, and my even server. All of which are running windows 10. 2 Pro, 1 Home, all 64 bit.

I've disabled the energy saver feature for the USB root hub it's connected to and guess what, it still shuts off. I even went as far as to disable that feature for all USB root hubs on the laptop, and my desktop. I plug it it, it syncs, then turns off.

Telling me to enable disk usage is a half baked solution that isn't the proper way for apple to have me "fix" my issue. I expect more from a company that charges a high premium to purchase their products. I don't care that they are a bit on the older side. THEY STILL WORK. Also, by doing so, as I stated above, I can no longer see the progression of the charge cycle.

It worked as intended on Windows XP, and 7. Why doesn't it work on Windows 10?

I shouldn't have to enable disk use to charge a shuffle.

Again,

Sincerely,

iPad 4th Gen, iPhone 5s, iPod Classic, iPod Nano 3rd Gen, 2 2nd Gen iPod shuffles, and an iPod Touch 5th Gen Owner

PS: Riddle me this Batman... How come none of my other devices stop charging after the sync is complete? Other than the iPad that is, which won't charge off of a USB 2.0 port.

Dec 4, 2015 3:54 PM in response to NSpectHerGadget

If it worked before with XP and 7, the cause is Windows 10. And if things work properly with those other devices, Windows 10 is recognizing them as Apple devices that need to charge their batteries when connected. But Windows 10 is not recognizing the shuffle that way. A 2nd gen shuffle was designed and produced WAY before Windows 10, so it's up Windows 10 to recognize it properly, not Apple to magically update existing hardware in hands of millions to accommodate Windows 10.

Dec 4, 2015 4:08 PM in response to NSpectHerGadget

As an alternative solution, if you happen to have a self-powered USB hub... Self-powered means it has its own power supply (does not draw power from port). Connect the hub to computer, and connect shuffle to hub. All of my iPods (and other devices) connect to USB hubs, not directly to my Mac, because it's more convenient that way. Since the hub provides its own power, it should not cut off power when the iPod's disk is unmounted.

Dec 4, 2015 4:23 PM in response to NSpectHerGadget

NSpectHerGadget wrote:

And here I am thinking I'm arguing with an Apple employee.

My apologies for giving you ****. I understand you were only trying to help.

Actually you are giving it to yourself, you just didn't realize it yet. You updated your computer to version of Windows that drivers of your hardware do not support properly. You have only yourself to blame and either downgrade or live with consequences.

iPod shuffle won't charge after upgrade to Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.