Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garage Band 10.1 Join Regions Problem

I have OSX Yosemite 10.10.5, and Garage Band 10.1. When I try to Join Regions of a track, it does not work; What it does though is to delete part of the audio data in a section of one of the split regions. I then click on "Undo", and get this message: "Undo Glue Take Folders#und". What is this crap? I have sent Apple a feedback about this, but naturally they never return with help.

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 10:13 AM

A couple of things:

The Join Region command is fundamentally different for joining MIDI Regions and Joining Audio Regions.

• MIDI Regions are just container for the actual MIDI Events and when you join two MIDI Regions, GarageBand just makes one combined big container with tall the MIDI Events.
  • Audio Regions can also be considered container, but they don't contain the actual audio data. They contain only the information that points to the location of the actual audio file on your hard drive they representing, plus the information from where to where to play that audio file and the position in your Project they are placed on.

GarageBand actually tells you that it creates a new Audio File when you perform this command. The only exception where it doesn't create a new audio file is when you join two Audio Regions that you have split and not moved.

User uploaded file

When you join two Audio Region, GarageBand performs a so-called "Bounce In Place". It mixes down those two Audio Regions and creates a new audio files that is represented by the newly created Audio Region.

When you undo the Join command, the two original Audio Region should be there again.

Back to your problem.

The way you describe it, seems that something went wrong.

• Just create a new Project and test with two new audio files if the procedure works as described.
  • Then back to you troubled-Project and try to find out what causes the problem.
  • Try the same procedure with two new audio files on a new Track to see if the join procedure works in general on that Project.
  • If it does, then deal with the two Audio Regions that cause the problem,. Maybe they are corrupt or something else if messed up.
  • If you are familiar with the Show Package Contents command, then you can look inside the Project and check the actual audio file.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2015 10:13 AM in response to hugoway

A couple of things:

The Join Region command is fundamentally different for joining MIDI Regions and Joining Audio Regions.

• MIDI Regions are just container for the actual MIDI Events and when you join two MIDI Regions, GarageBand just makes one combined big container with tall the MIDI Events.
  • Audio Regions can also be considered container, but they don't contain the actual audio data. They contain only the information that points to the location of the actual audio file on your hard drive they representing, plus the information from where to where to play that audio file and the position in your Project they are placed on.

GarageBand actually tells you that it creates a new Audio File when you perform this command. The only exception where it doesn't create a new audio file is when you join two Audio Regions that you have split and not moved.

User uploaded file

When you join two Audio Region, GarageBand performs a so-called "Bounce In Place". It mixes down those two Audio Regions and creates a new audio files that is represented by the newly created Audio Region.

When you undo the Join command, the two original Audio Region should be there again.

Back to your problem.

The way you describe it, seems that something went wrong.

• Just create a new Project and test with two new audio files if the procedure works as described.
  • Then back to you troubled-Project and try to find out what causes the problem.
  • Try the same procedure with two new audio files on a new Track to see if the join procedure works in general on that Project.
  • If it does, then deal with the two Audio Regions that cause the problem,. Maybe they are corrupt or something else if messed up.
  • If you are familiar with the Show Package Contents command, then you can look inside the Project and check the actual audio file.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Aug 24, 2015 11:29 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Thanks for the support. Here's what happens: I record a track that requires modulation halfway through the song. I record the first half, then click on "New track with duplicate settings", and then record the modulated second half, in a timeline starting at the very end of the first half track. Then I "Split Regions" on the second track, to delete a small portion of track just prior to the start of the mod audio. Then I move the mod track up to the first half track. After that I monitor that the tracks have blended, I then click on "Join Regions", and it does not work. I have done this procedure with many songs in the past, and it has always worked, (Creating a new audio file). I started having problems with "Join Regions" just prior to upgrading to OS X Yosemite, and hoped that the upgrade would fix the problem. I have reinstalled Garage Band 10.1, with no help.

Hugo

Aug 24, 2015 8:59 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

Sorry for the confusion. "Modulation" is a word used by musicians, I play guitar, and if the song I am recording needs to go up one fret on the guitar, i.e., the song starts in the key of E, and in the middle of the song, to make it a little more interesting, the key will "Modulate" up one fret, to the key of F. So the first track recorded is in "E", and the modulated track is recorded, in the key of "F", in time line, at the very end of the the first track audio. Then I "Split Regions" at the END of track one, and another split at the START of track two. Then I move the track two audio up to join track one, and the split of the two tracks is visible,

but when played back, there is no noticeable break in the recordings.

Garage Band 10.1 Join Regions Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.