Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Streaming to ATV for 2 users (need two iTunes accts?)

My wife and I are set up as two separate users in Windows 10, on which I have a single iTunes account installed and running under my Windows user.

Up to this point I've been the only one using iTunes and streaming music to the Apple TV. My wife now wants to add her own collection of CDs into iTunes and be able to stream her music to ATV as well.

What I'm trying to do is to keep our music separate but be able to stream our separate collections of music to the ATV, and be able to do this without a lot of switching of users and/or iTunes accounts.

I've tried setting up separate libraries under my iTunes, but all that happens is that the ATV can only access one library at a time...which is the one I select when iTunes starts. This would mean constantly switching libraries in iTunes, which would be especially annoying if she is on under her user. I thought I'd be able to have two libraries and that the ATV would simply ask which one to browse, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I also created an iTunes library under her Windows user, but that didn't accomplish anything as it's not possible to have iTunes running both users at once.

At this point I'm not understanding how I can add her music into iTunes and keep it separate from mine and be able to access both libraries on the ATV without having to log in and out of the different libraries on iTunes at the computer.

Hopefully this makes sense and someone will be able to tell me if this is even possible, and if so, what should I be doing?

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 8:15 AM

6 replies

Aug 24, 2015 8:39 AM in response to Sbburkett

I also created an iTunes library under her Windows user, but that didn't accomplish anything as it's not possible to have iTunes running both users at once.

Unfortunately, what you are wanting to do isn't going to be accomplished easily. The problem you have is windows, having two users running iTunes works fine on a Mac. I don't suppose you have a Mac, or a second windows computer. Another alternative is to use iTunes match with one of the accounts and then make sure that account is the active account on the Apple TV and that the other account is the active user account on your computer.

Aug 24, 2015 8:45 AM in response to Sbburkett

Having 2 users with 2 libraries on a windows PC works exactly the same as on a Mac. You still need to log off one user, and log on to the other on a Mac. Or open itunes and point it to the relevant library.

In short, there is no easy way of selecting a library to use in either operating system. iTunes works exactly the same on both.

You either log into the relevant user, or point iTunes to the relevant library when starting it.

There is no other option. Home sharing will only ever share out the library that is currently loaded in iTunes. And since iTunes can only load one library at a time, in either OS, there's not much choice.

Sbburkett wrote:

At this point I'm not understanding how I can add her music into iTunes and keep it separate from mine and be able to access both libraries on the ATV without having to log in and out of the different libraries on iTunes at the computer.

Unfortunately, you can't. For separate libraries you are limited to either separate users, or loading a library into iTunes when you want to use it.

Aug 24, 2015 9:02 AM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 wrote:

Having 2 users with 2 libraries on a windows PC works exactly the same as on a Mac.

In what sense?

I can have two user accounts open on my mac and providing they are both set up to use the same home sharing settings, both libraries will show up under the computers option on the Apple TV. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what it is you are saying isn't possible.

Aug 24, 2015 9:26 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks to both WC and Phil for the fast responses.

So if I'm understanding correctly, even if I wanted to set up two libraries for myself there's no way both of them would show up in ATV at the same time to stream from? If I had two libraries for myself I'd have to close iTunes and re-open it pointing to whichever library I wanted to stream on the at that particular time rather than the ATV being able to "see" both at once, correct?

This is a real shame as the ATV has been wonderful being able to access my entire CD collection and be able to play the music through my main sound system. The computer is several rooms away, so it wouldn't be all that convenient to have to go to the computer to change libraries every time me or my wife wanted to play something from a different library.

But thank you for the assistance.

Aug 24, 2015 10:14 AM in response to Sbburkett

I must apologize, and correct myself.

While everything works essentially the same, OSx does allow you to have 2 iTunes libraries open at the same time from 2 different user accounts that are also logged into simultaneously.

Windows unfortunately, while allowing you to have two user accounts open at the same time, will not open the second instance of iTunes, stating that iTunes is already in use by another user.

If you keep 2 user accounts open, the most you would need to do would be to switch between them, and open / close iTunes as needed.

Its not the best solution.

Without having tested this, perhaps a virtual Windows Installation, that holds the second library would work, but that seems awfully convoluted for something that should be a simple matter.

So with that said, I do apologize for the incorrect information given above.

Streaming to ATV for 2 users (need two iTunes accts?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.