Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot boot up, get folder with ? What to do?

I am using Yosemite on my iMac. When attempting to boot up the other day I had a white screen with the Apple logo and a status bar. No tone at the beginning of the process. Eventually I saw script on the upper left of the screen but it was there only a couple of seconds. The screen went black for a short period. At that point a file folder with a question mark in it began to flash on a white screen.

I turned it off and unplugged for a while. Then turned back on while holding down the option key. This gave me the choice of the Mac hard drive or recovery 10.10.3. I have tried both to no success. Status bar stop at about half way.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 11:16 AM

7 replies

Cannot boot up, get folder with ? What to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.