Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup a new Mac mini with a one Tera SSD from a dieing mid 2009 MacBookPro

I have a $2200 (loaded) Mac mini coming from apple on wed to take over from my dieing mid 2009 Mac Book Pro now running on the emergency graphics as it has the same problem with the mobile nvidia 9400M that they recalled the 2010 ones for. Is the best way to transfer the system 10-10-5 system and programs on its 512 hard drive as well as its 50 gig BOOTCAMP partition to the new units 1 Tera SSD to put the old MBP into target disk mode or should I make a CCCloner image of the whole hard drive and use that or use disk util to make a disk image of the whole hard drive and use that from the mini in emerging you mode?

the main thing is I want to be sure the BOOTCAMP partition makes the move as I don't recall wher the win 7 64 pro key card and DVDs are and I don't want to have to buy another copy

the old MBP is headed to email dutry in the guest room once I format and set it up for guests right now i have it using the lowerpower 256 meg version of its graphics and it seems to be holding for now without rebooting it suffers every 15 min or so if the 512 version is selected.

i Will wipe the BOOTCAMP from the MBP when it has transferred to the new mini so only one copy of this serial number will be active.

so which option is best when setting up the new mini

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 3ghz i7 1 Tera SSD

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 9:53 AM

16 replies

Aug 27, 2015 7:03 AM in response to Windshadow99

OK the old MBP has a 500 GB his545 that is running well with 82 gig given to BOOTCAMP.

The new Mac mini has a 1 TB flash that I want to set up with a 300 GB BOOTCAMP

IS the best way to be sure the bootcamp partition makes the journey from the old MBP to this new Mac mini to use:

1. Migration ast. Tool that shows up on first boot of the new Mac mini? ( is it better to use FireWire 800 to thunderbolt or Ethernet cable)

2. Up to date time machine backup (I have never had to do a restore from TM that included a BOOTCAMP partitions)

3. Carbon copy backup of Macintosh HD and disk tools image of BOOTCAMP

4. Setup the old MBP with target disk and drag contents into their new home on the set up partitions.

Aug 27, 2015 7:51 AM in response to Windshadow99

Depends what yo mean by best.

- Using CCC will make the new drive like the old one. However that will bring over old things that sometimes can slow the Mac or cause other problems

- Using Migration Assistant (or setup assistant if yo do it during the initial setup of the new Mac) allows you to only carryover what you need. Note that Migration Assistant will create a new user

Aug 27, 2015 7:55 AM in response to Windshadow99

Migration Assistant will not migrate the MS Windows partition. There are solutions out there that do this, however I am not familiar with them. I would recommend posting in the Boot Camp forum and asking there.

The easiest method to migrate your OS X partition is to connect your backup (either Time Machine or clone) to the new Mac when it arrives. I strongly recommend using a USB connection, DO NOT attempt to use Wi-Fi or Ethernet. When you turn on the new machine for the first time it will launch Setup Assistant and eventually ask if you are migrating from another Mac, select YES and follow the on-screen directions. Apple explains this in detail in Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support. It is extremely simple! Unlike MA, SA will not create a new user.

Aug 27, 2015 8:38 AM in response to rkaufmann87

TThanks folks, I will ask in the BOOTCAMP section looks like setup assistant then some thing called Winclone and i need the $40.00 version for this.

it seems to be non trivial and I will lose the registration key and god knows where my win 7 pro 64 install DVDs and key code are its been years since I needed them. There are 37 steps here in their help section.... I think my days tasks have been settled

https://twocanoes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203444057-Boot-Camp-Migration-Ov erview

Aug 27, 2015 8:52 AM in response to Windshadow99

Windshadow99 wrote:

TThe time machine and carbon copy are on FireWire 800 drives why can't I use my TB to FireWire 800 connector from the Mac mini transferring everything to a sub drive first seems silly I have never had any problems with FireWire 800 on this MBP

You can, however you will need the Thunderbolt to FW connector which may be an unnecessary expense. If you are okay with getting that adapter, FW would be fine too.

Aug 27, 2015 11:38 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks guys and that Winprep step strips out the registration codes and I can't find my win 7pro sp1 64 install DVDs with the key code I have no idea where I put it for safekeeping all those years ago probably between two books or tucked inside a book whose title I thought would be a clever reminder..... But since I have about 100 feet of hard cover book and almost as many feet of paperback books unless that title flashes into my brain the chance of me finding them is small but I have just called a friend who has put windows behind him (for a new 5K 27" iMac ) and is selling off the stuff he bought to build a new PC and he has an unused win 8.1 pro 64 new computer OEM DVDs set and he traded about 15 gal of my homemade best bitter ale for it so I will just do a clean install of it once the never ending transfer via migration is done about 1/3 of 400 GB don and I added an Ethernet cable to the FireWire 800 on the MBP and the thunderbolt connector on the new mini when the program told me to

tthe time remaining keeps changing from less than 75min remaining up to over 8 hours remaining sweeps back and forth between those extremes every 15 min or so at least the progress bar is moving

Aug 27, 2015 1:59 PM in response to lllaass

Hi again folks, set up assistant just finished its 5 hour transfer and it went to the reboot but it only gets about 20% of the bar under the white apple filled and it goes to the spinning beach all and stays there.

so I do a forced power off disconnect all the stuff hooking it to the the old computer and hit the option key to get the recovery partition and run disk utility on the SSD and it finds no problems...

i Guess next step is to try a rebuild via the Internet unless anyone has better ideas

Aug 27, 2015 2:23 PM in response to lllaass

I Selected all the stuff that assistant had I have been able to boot to my FireWire 800 backup via a TB adapter and run disk utility from this external drive on the SSD again it failed the first time saying it could not u mount the SSD for repair but it seems ok on the next run and the SSD is showin the right amount used at 335 GB used and 663 free. Let me switch to it an I can post the disk utility details of the run

Aug 27, 2015 2:26 PM in response to lllaass

I Selected all the stuff that assistant had I have been able to boot to my FireWire 800 backup via a TB adapter and run disk utility from this external drive on the SSD again it failed the first time saying it could not u mount the SSD for repair but it seems ok on the next run and the SSD is showin the right amount used at 335 GB used and 663 free. Let me switch to it an I can post the disk utility details of the run sorry it seems to lose its formatting when copied from disk utility and pasted here Not shut if I should try something else before i restart again though

Verifying and repairing partition map for “APPLE SSD SM1024F Media”Checking prerequisitesChecking the partition listAdjusting partition map to fit whole disk as requiredChecking for an EFI system partitionChecking the EFI system partition’s sizeChecking the EFI system partition’s file systemChecking the EFI system partition’s folder contentChecking all HFS data partition loader spacesChecking booter partitionsChecking booter partition disk0s3Repairing file system.Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.Checking extents overflow file.Checking catalog file.Checking multi-linked files.Checking catalog hierarchy.Checking extended attributes file.Checking volume bitmap.Checking volume information.Trimming unused blocks.The volume Recovery HD appears to be OK.File system check exit code is 0.Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.Reviewing boot support loadersChecking Core Storage Physical Volume partitionsVerifying storage systemChecking volumedisk0s2: Scan for Volume Headersdisk0s2: Scan for Disk LabelsLogical Volume Group C77C555A-7EC4-454C-98D8-1419552BE5F5 on 1 devicedisk0s2: Scan for Metadata VolumeLogical Volume Group has a 24 MB Metadata Volume with double redundancyStart scanning metadata for a valid checkpointLoad and verify Segment HeadersLoad and verify Checkpoint PayloadLoad and verify Transaction SegmentIncorporate 0 newer non-checkpoint transactionsLoad and verify Virtual Address TableLoad and verify Segment Usage TableLoad and verify Metadata SuperblockLoad and verify Logical Volumes B-TreesLogical Volume Group contains 1 Logical VolumeLoad and verify 1391D80F-7426-4AAD-A335-A038AA18B3F7Load and verify 1B2EDF42-EA97-4E8F-8120-24ACAB0564E5Load and verify Freespace SummaryLoad and verify Block AccountingLoad and verify Live Virtual AddressesNewest transaction commit checkpoint is validLoad and verify Segment CleaningThe volume C77C555A-7EC4-454C-98D8-1419552BE5F5 appears to be OKStorage system check exit code is 0.Repairing storage systemThe volume disk0s2 cannot be repaired when it is in useChecking volumedisk0s2: Scan for Volume Headersdisk0s2: Scan for Disk LabelsLogical Volume Group C77C555A-7EC4-454C-98D8-1419552BE5F5 on 1 devicedisk0s2: Scan for Metadata VolumeLogical Volume Group has a 24 MB Metadata Volume with double redundancyStart scanning metadata for a valid checkpointLoad and verify Segment HeadersLoad and verify Checkpoint PayloadLoad and verify Transaction SegmentIncorporate 0 newer non-checkpoint transactionsLoad and verify Virtual Address TableLoad and verify Segment Usage TableLoad and verify Metadata SuperblockLoad and verify Logical Volumes B-TreesLogical Volume Group contains 1 Logical VolumeLoad and verify 1391D80F-7426-4AAD-A335-A038AA18B3F7Load and verify 1B2EDF42-EA97-4E8F-8120-24ACAB0564E5Load and verify Freespace SummaryLoad and verify Block AccountingLoad and verify Live Virtual AddressesNewest transaction commit checkpoint is validLoad and verify Segment CleaningThe volume C77C555A-7EC4-454C-98D8-1419552BE5F5 appears to be OKStorage system check exit code is 0.Updating Windows boot.ini files as requiredThe partition map appears to be OK

Verifying and repairing partition map for “APPLE SSD SM1024F Media”Checking prerequisitesChecking the partition listAdjusting partition map to fit whole disk as requiredChecking for an EFI system partitionChecking the EFI system partition’s sizeChecking the EFI system partition’s file systemChecking the EFI system partition’s folder contentChecking all HFS data partition loader spacesChecking booter partitionsChecking booter partition disk0s3Repairing file system.Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.Checking extents overflow file.Checking catalog file.Checking multi-linked files.Checking catalog hierarchy.Checking extended attributes file.Checking volume bitmap.Checking volume information.Trimming unused blocks.The volume Recovery HD appears to be OK.File system check exit code is 0.Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.Reviewing boot support loadersChecking Core Storage Physical Volume partitionsVerifying storage systemChecking volumedisk0s2: Scan for Volume Headersdisk0s2: Scan for Disk LabelsLogical Volume Group C77C555A-7EC4-454C-98D8-1419552BE5F5 on 1 devicedisk0s2: Scan for Metadata VolumeLogical Volume Group has a 24 MB Metadata Volume with double redundancyStart scanning metadata for a valid checkpointLoad and verify Segment HeadersLoad and verify Checkpoint PayloadLoad and verify Transaction SegmentIncorporate 0 newer non-checkpoint transactionsLoad and verify Virtual Address TableLoad and verify Segment Usage TableLoad and verify Metadata SuperblockLoad and verify Logical Volumes B-TreesLogical Volume Group contains 1 Logical VolumeLoad and verify 1391D80F-7426-4AAD-A335-A038AA18B3F7Load and verify 1B2EDF42-EA97-4E8F-8120-24ACAB0564E5Load and verify Freespace SummaryLoad and verify Block AccountingLoad and verify Live Virtual AddressesNewest transaction commit checkpoint is validLoad and verify Segment CleaningThe volume C77C555A-7EC4-454C-98D8-1419552BE5F5 appears to be OKStorage system check exit code is 0.Repairing storage systemThe volume disk0s2 cannot be repaired when it is in useChecking volumedisk0s2: Scan for Volume Headersdisk0s2: Scan for Disk LabelsLogical Volume Group C77C555A-7EC4-454C-98D8-1419552BE5F5 on 1 devicedisk0s2: Scan for Metadata VolumeLogical Volume Group has a 24 MB Metadata Volume with double redundancyStart scanning metadata for a valid checkpointLoad and verify Segment HeadersLoad and verify Checkpoint PayloadLoad and verify Transaction SegmentIncorporate 0 newer non-checkpoint transactionsLoad and verify Virtual Address TableLoad and verify Segment Usage TableLoad and verify Metadata SuperblockLoad and verify Logical Volumes B-TreesLogical Volume Group contains 1 Logical VolumeLoad and verify 1391D80F-7426-4AAD-A335-A038AA18B3F7Load and verify 1B2EDF42-EA97-4E8F-8120-24ACAB0564E5Load and verify Freespace SummaryLoad and verify Block AccountingLoad and verify Live Virtual AddressesNewest transaction commit checkpoint is validLoad and verify Segment CleaningThe volume C77C555A-7EC4-454C-98D8-1419552BE5F5 appears to be OKStorage system check exit code is 0.Updating Windows boot.ini files as requiredThe partition map appears to be OK

Verify and Repair volume “Macintosh HD”Repairing storage systemThe volume disk0s2 cannot be repaired when it is in useChecking volumedisk0s2: Scan for Volume Headersdisk0s2: Scan for Disk LabelsLogical Volume Group C77C555A-7EC4-454C-98D8-1419552BE5F5 on 1 devicedisk0s2: Scan for Metadata VolumeLogical Volume Group has a 24 MB Metadata Volume with double redundancyStart scanning metadata for a valid checkpointLoad and verify Segment HeadersLoad and verify Checkpoint PayloadLoad and verify Transaction SegmentIncorporate 0 newer non-checkpoint transactionsLoad and verify Virtual Address TableLoad and verify Segment Usage TableLoad and verify Metadata SuperblockLoad and verify Logical Volumes B-TreesLogical Volume Group contains 1 Logical VolumeLoad and verify 1391D80F-7426-4AAD-A335-A038AA18B3F7Load and verify 1B2EDF42-EA97-4E8F-8120-24ACAB0564E5Load and verify Freespace SummaryLoad and verify Block AccountingLoad and verify Live Virtual AddressesNewest transaction commit checkpoint is validLoad and verify Segment CleaningThe volume C77C555A-7EC4-454C-98D8-1419552BE5F5 appears to be OKStorage system check exit code is 0.Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.Error: Unable to unmount volume for repair.

Verify and Repair volume “Macintosh HD”Repairing storage systemThe volume disk0s2 cannot be repaired when it is in useChecking volumedisk0s2: Scan for Volume Headersdisk0s2: Scan for Disk LabelsLogical Volume Group C77C555A-7EC4-454C-98D8-1419552BE5F5 on 1 devicedisk0s2: Scan for Metadata VolumeLogical Volume Group has a 24 MB Metadata Volume with double redundancyStart scanning metadata for a valid checkpointLoad and verify Segment HeadersLoad and verify Checkpoint PayloadLoad and verify Transaction SegmentIncorporate 0 newer non-checkpoint transactionsLoad and verify Virtual Address TableLoad and verify Segment Usage TableLoad and verify Metadata SuperblockLoad and verify Logical Volumes B-TreesLogical Volume Group contains 1 Logical VolumeLoad and verify 1391D80F-7426-4AAD-A335-A038AA18B3F7Load and verify 1B2EDF42-EA97-4E8F-8120-24ACAB0564E5Load and verify Freespace SummaryLoad and verify Block AccountingLoad and verify Live Virtual AddressesNewest transaction commit checkpoint is validLoad and verify Segment CleaningThe volume C77C555A-7EC4-454C-98D8-1419552BE5F5 appears to be OKStorage system check exit code is 0.Repairing file system.Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.Checking extents overflow file.Checking catalog file.Checking multi-linked files.Checking catalog hierarchy.Checking extended attributes file.Checking volume bitmap.Checking volume information.Trimming unused blocks.The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK.File system check exit code is 0.Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

Aug 27, 2015 2:29 PM in response to Windshadow99

And here is partition of the SSD the only one so far of course

Verify and Repair volume “Macintosh HD”Repairing storage systemThe volume disk0s2 cannot be repaired when it is in useChecking volumedisk0s2: Scan for Volume Headersdisk0s2: Scan for Disk LabelsLogical Volume Group C77C555A-7EC4-454C-98D8-1419552BE5F5 on 1 devicedisk0s2: Scan for Metadata VolumeLogical Volume Group has a 24 MB Metadata Volume with double redundancyStart scanning metadata for a valid checkpointLoad and verify Segment HeadersLoad and verify Checkpoint PayloadLoad and verify Transaction SegmentIncorporate 0 newer non-checkpoint transactionsLoad and verify Virtual Address TableLoad and verify Segment Usage TableLoad and verify Metadata SuperblockLoad and verify Logical Volumes B-TreesLogical Volume Group contains 1 Logical VolumeLoad and verify 1391D80F-7426-4AAD-A335-A038AA18B3F7Load and verify 1B2EDF42-EA97-4E8F-8120-24ACAB0564E5Load and verify Freespace SummaryLoad and verify Block AccountingLoad and verify Live Virtual AddressesNewest transaction commit checkpoint is validLoad and verify Segment CleaningThe volume C77C555A-7EC4-454C-98D8-1419552BE5F5 appears to be OKStorage system check exit code is 0.Repairing file system.Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.Checking extents overflow file.Checking catalog file.Checking multi-linked files.Checking catalog hierarchy.Checking extended attributes file.Checking volume bitmap.Checking volume information.Trimming unused blocks.The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK.File system check exit code is 0.Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

Aug 27, 2015 3:12 PM in response to Windshadow99

Windshadow99 wrote:

Thanks guys and that Winprep step strips out the registration codes and I can't find my win 7pro sp1 64 install DVDs with the key code I have no idea where I put it for safekeeping all those years ago probably between two books or tucked inside a book whose title I thought would be a clever reminder..... But since I have about 100 feet of hard cover book and almost as many feet of paperback books unless that title flashes into my brain the chance of me finding them is small but I have just called a friend who has put windows behind him (for a new 5K 27" iMac ) and is selling off the stuff he bought to build a new PC and he has an unused win 8.1 pro 64 new computer OEM DVDs set and he traded about 15 gal of my homemade best bitter ale for it so I will just do a clean install of it once the never ending transfer via migration is done about 1/3 of 400 GB don and I added an Ethernet cable to the FireWire 800 on the MBP and the thunderbolt connector on the new mini when the program told me to

tthe time remaining keeps changing from less than 75min remaining up to over 8 hours remaining sweeps back and forth between those extremes every 15 min or so at least the progress bar is moving

1. The title of the book your are looking for is The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley. 😉

2. You can always restore the un-SysPrepped Windows and use BelArc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) or Magic JellyBean (https://www.magicaljellybean.com/) to find your product key.

3. I will trade a gallon of your "homemade best bitter ale for it" for assistance. 😁

4. Use "raw" format to post your output and check.

Aug 27, 2015 3:45 PM in response to Loner T

well the fix turned out to be the old disconnect all external drives and hit the shift key at the start chime. This cleared the damaged cache files I think and it then could finish letting me log into everything on the next restart.... I tend to forget this one and go to the restoration partition these days but shift boot was what it needed

thanks for all the help have a virtual pint or three on me having been at this for about 8 hours it is beer thirty here for me and I am far too old to try to install BOOTCAMP and drink at the same time so while time machine makes a fresh back up to a pair Virgin 2GB hard drives in a FireWire 800 hot swap cage I am off to cook my supper and drink and see what is on Netflix for me... BOOTCAMP win 8.1 is now tomorrow's task.

Setup a new Mac mini with a one Tera SSD from a dieing mid 2009 MacBookPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.