Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

freehand and pagemaker

My Dad's mac is slow and old. He has 3 in his office because one is capable of using pagemaker; one is capable of using freehand and the other one is the newest and useless as far as I'm concerned. It is soooooo slow - oh my gosh. I told him I would see if there is a computer out there that will use both pagemaker and freehand.

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 10:03 AM

2 replies

Aug 24, 2015 10:12 AM in response to sputterbug10

What versions of the two is he running now?

No new one is going to run them though.

On the 2 Macs do this, assuming OSX...

At the Apple Icon at top left>About this Mac.

Then click on More Info>Hardware and report this upto but not including the Serial#...

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Mac mini

Machine Model: PowerMac10,1

CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 1.42 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 512 MB

Bus Speed: 167 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.8.9f1

Aug 24, 2015 12:56 PM in response to sputterbug10

There is no current Mac that will run these applications, anymore.

Pagemaker is old and no longer exists. Adobe bought out Macromedia (the original developers of Freehand) and killed Freehand, after one or two more version upgrades, to kill the competition between Freehand and Adobe's own vector application Illustrator.

Depending on how old your father's Macs are, you maybe able to find newer, but still older Macs that may still run these outdated applications.

The very last versions of PageMaker for the Mac and FreehandMX were problematic on newer Intel Mac models running under OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard which is the last version of OS X to support older PowerMac (PowerPC) coded software.

You may may have to look for the last PowerPC Macs, either the last models of G4 or G5 PowerMacs that will run the last universal version of OS X, 10.5 Leopard.

freehand and pagemaker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.