Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a Virtual set import into Motion

My question is can a 3d model of a virtual-set be created in something like Maya and imported to Motion in such a way as I can change camera angles and create a unique background for my chormakey subject in FCPX each week?

User uploaded file

Details: I want to create a simple virtual set which is glass. This way I can change camera angles, place a different scenery video behind the glass cast shadows and light etc.. I have a guy who can build the set but im not sure what format he could use or if its even possible to create a semi-transparent object and have motion recognize and work with it. My guess is I am asking far too much of Motion. Any thoughts or directions would be great.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 1:36 AM

Yes... fairly easily (that probably means you will need some practice with the various aspects of 3D text in order to figure out how to accomplish your goal.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObeKsT4e-G0

I used a rectangle character (you can find them in the Unicode set.) Size the character to something large (about the size you want for the monitors [or window segments]). The juggler is from a sample green screen clip to which I added a keyer filter and applied it as the Image source to one of the rectangle shapes. The Floor is the same character with a Wood texture applied and set up with a Replicator to duplicate multiple copies of the character. The walls are the same character, same size, scaled to 400% with the texture set to Miscellaneous > Motion and the Sides and edges set to Ridge with a little Width added. The "Virtual Set" is also set in 3D (3D and 2D do not interact in Motion and the reason I used a 3D character surface for the green screen video—otherwise, as the camera moves, the floor texture appears to slide under the 2D video character's feet.)

About the hardest part of the whole scene is lining up the monitor (window) sections since they are curved. I did that by setting the Z-position anchor point out in front of the panel center, and lining up all the sections on that point, rotating the "radius" until the sides match. The image sources needed to be scaled and aligned for each section so that the entire "fill" video matched up side to side (top and bottom are trimmed somewhat as the monitor layout is not a 16:9 ratio.) I used a 16:9 character (from a custom font) turned 90° on its side and so I had to match the rotation with the Image source "Placement" rotation.

As you can see in the video clip, the camera can be animated around the set any way you like.

If you need a glassiness effect, that is also possible by adding a Layer > Finish > Custom Specular and picking an environment or supplying an image that can be used for specular reflections. There are actually a few different ways to create the glass effects... just depends on how complicated you want to make it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2015 1:36 AM in response to Aaron Wallrich1

Yes... fairly easily (that probably means you will need some practice with the various aspects of 3D text in order to figure out how to accomplish your goal.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObeKsT4e-G0

I used a rectangle character (you can find them in the Unicode set.) Size the character to something large (about the size you want for the monitors [or window segments]). The juggler is from a sample green screen clip to which I added a keyer filter and applied it as the Image source to one of the rectangle shapes. The Floor is the same character with a Wood texture applied and set up with a Replicator to duplicate multiple copies of the character. The walls are the same character, same size, scaled to 400% with the texture set to Miscellaneous > Motion and the Sides and edges set to Ridge with a little Width added. The "Virtual Set" is also set in 3D (3D and 2D do not interact in Motion and the reason I used a 3D character surface for the green screen video—otherwise, as the camera moves, the floor texture appears to slide under the 2D video character's feet.)

About the hardest part of the whole scene is lining up the monitor (window) sections since they are curved. I did that by setting the Z-position anchor point out in front of the panel center, and lining up all the sections on that point, rotating the "radius" until the sides match. The image sources needed to be scaled and aligned for each section so that the entire "fill" video matched up side to side (top and bottom are trimmed somewhat as the monitor layout is not a 16:9 ratio.) I used a 16:9 character (from a custom font) turned 90° on its side and so I had to match the rotation with the Image source "Placement" rotation.

As you can see in the video clip, the camera can be animated around the set any way you like.

If you need a glassiness effect, that is also possible by adding a Layer > Finish > Custom Specular and picking an environment or supplying an image that can be used for specular reflections. There are actually a few different ways to create the glass effects... just depends on how complicated you want to make it.

Aug 25, 2015 4:40 AM in response to Aaron Wallrich1

afaik, due to a missing interface/API, it's impossible to import 3D-data into Motion,

As fox_m much better explained: curves create pain 😉

In csse you use a 'flat' set, it's quite easy, have a look at one of my test.movs, I used lately:

http://youtu.be/nK8EBZBm4yc

User uploaded file

My 'client' is a professional comedian/impersonist, and he asked me, how to put him into an existing TVstudio - without having access to the studio...

So, I made a few screengrabs and put it on diff.layers; the blue background, that UFO/counter in the foreground, and finally the guy in my 1$-shop green-screen.

In Motion (would work in FCPX too...), you staple the diff. layers, animate them, add some nice DoF onto the background - done:

User uploaded file

a look from the riight shows: not 3D ... fake! 😀

User uploaded file

How awesome FCPX/Motion is, demonstrates two things:

• I'm no pro, a hobbyist, 2h in the hobbyshop, done

• the host lays his right arm and his papers 'onto' the counter - and that is done with the cheapest green-screen ever!

Aug 25, 2015 6:51 AM in response to fox_m

Thanks, those videos were helpful. I think if I stay away from camera dolly's things will look very cool. i've started messing with mObjects last night. The glass is difficult to get right but the scenery maps take realism to a new level. Haven't tested with a subject yet but I think you are correct...curves do create pain especially in conjunction with what is essentially a 2d background. Its hard to find where to line up the floor.

Aug 25, 2015 12:58 PM in response to Aaron Wallrich1

To add to what Karsten and Fox have offered, and depending on your budget, experience, needs and time, this could also be done in motion with the help of some 3rd party tools. When the camera is static, you can pretty much always fake perspective, but if the physical camera is moving you could use a camera matching(tracking) software to pass the basic camera data to a 3D app and Motion (apps listed below). Here's an outline of the workflow.

-Track the camera

-Export camera data to Motion and your 3D app of choice (maya, cinema4D, max, blender, etc.)

-In the 3D app, place your set and render 2D elements as needed (BG only or multiple levels for compositing).

-Bring it all together in Motion.

The apps that can do camera tracking and I know have some option for exporting camera data to motion are:

-Syntheyes

-Mocha

-PFTrack

-Cinema 4D

-Blender (via a scripting addition).

Again, how to approach this will depend on your needs, knowledge, and budget. Here are some other links that should be helpful if you want to move your camera:

http://www.fcp.co/forum/6-motion-5/23572-tutorial-how-to-export-from-blender-to- apple-motion

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1684-an-introduction-to-motion-tracking -concepts

Creating a Virtual set import into Motion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.