Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How is iCloud photo

I need space on my MacBook Air and thought I could upload my photos. What is the process and are you pleased with the service?

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 11:43 AM

It works very well for me but be aware that you don't upload photos and delete them from your Mac. You can turn on an "Optimize Storage" setting to reduce the space required on your Mac however. See the following: iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

6 replies

Aug 25, 2015 7:31 AM in response to FoxFifth

I was reading the ICloud Photo Library - FAQ and noted a 16 GB limit. I have 56.58 GB of photo, will this present a problem? The steps that I will follow to start using the I Cloud Photo Library are 1: Purchase up to 200 GB of storage space, 2: Turn on the iCloud Photo Library, then 3: Change my photos preference to Optimize. Have I missed anything? I use Time Warner Extreme Internet (with 30 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload speeds), do you have any idea how long it will take to upload my photos?

I have 2 iPhones that automatically store their photos on my MacBook Air. Should I change any settings once I have the iCloud Photo Library running? I also use a camera that I upload the photos to my MacBook Air, will this procedure remain the same?

Thank you,

Aug 25, 2015 7:39 AM in response to robert for leg

The 16GB limit is the maximum size of a single photo -- not the total size of all of your photos.

I don't know how long it will take, but it will continue to run in the background so you can use your computer for other things while it is uploading.

The procedure for transferring photos from a camera to your MacBook Air will not change.

I'm assuming that you are currently using Photo Stream to transfer photos from your iPhones -- you can continue to do that or you can turn on iCloud Photo Library on them as well; note that if you do turn on iCloud Photo Library on the iPhones, all of your photos from your MacBook will also transfer to the iPhones.

How is iCloud photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.