Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri won't quit / close a session after "Goodbye"

Hey, guys!

Thank you for looking through this question.

Just have noticed, that Siri stopped quitting / closing its session after "Goodbye", "Bye", "See you", "So long", "Good Night", "Close Siri", "Dismiss Siri" voice commands.

I mean closing Siri by a voice command, rather than by pressing the "Home" button.

Have already tried:

w/ Siri:

• Turning Siri Off and On again
  • Turning Siri Off -> Restart -> Siri On
  • "Hey, Siri!" Off/On

w/ the phone:

• Restart (Sleep -> "Slide to Power Off")
  • Restart (Home + Sleep)
  • Reset (all of the options in the Settings -> General -> Reset menu, including "Reset All Content and Settings")
  • Restore via iTunes
  • Restore via iTunes with the phone in "Recovery Mode"

Unfortunately, Siri still answers something like "OK, see you soon...", "Until next time...", "Bye!" but DOES NOT close its window and does not go to the Home Screen.

I'm using an iPhone 6 running iOS 8.4.1

Before restoring the phone via iTunes (w/ iOS upgrading), the phone was running iOS 8.1.x. Siri had worked as intended: quit after "Goodbye", but then suddenly stopped. There still was iOS 8.1.x.

Any help: ideas, tests, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Denis

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 8:16 AM

I have the same problem.

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.4.1

3 replies

Aug 27, 2015 3:43 PM in response to emploise

Alright, guys,

I've done an another test with closing Siri after jmarcosseo reported they were able to close Siri with a voice command after turning Siri Off, restart and Siri On again.

The key thing: I did not have to do anything – Siri eventually resumed closing its session by a voice command automatically.

OK, here are my guesses of what's goin' on:

1. A user passes a voice command to a device's mic.
  2. The voice command is transmitted to the Apple server w/ Siri program.
  3. Siri performs speech recognition, processes the request and generate a response.
  4. The response is transmitted back to the device with:
    • What to reply to the user
    • What to actually DO

So, I suppose, Apple recently edited the "Goodbye" response by removing "Close" action. And luckily brought it back! 🙂

Thanks, guys, and thank you, Apple!

Best regards,

Denis

Siri won't quit / close a session after "Goodbye"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.