Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV (gen 3) rebooting issue

I have an Apple TV gen 3 that's been rebooting itself recently when attempting to stream. I thought it might've been my router so i replaced it and the issue still remains. After looking into it a bit more I found that Apple hosted a replacement program for gen 3 ATVs. I've tried contacting Apple Support and requested an exemption to talk to someone about it but the automated message keeps telling me that "they must've missed me."

Has anyone else had this issue or can help me find a resolution?

Apple TV (3rd generation)

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 12:37 PM

8 replies

Aug 24, 2015 4:26 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I've tried replacing the HDMI and using another HDMI port on the TV and it gave the same results - streaming would start playing; after about 30 seconds, the picture would become distorted as if it was losing wi-fi connectivity and finally reboot. With Netflix, selections are significantly delayed which would force the device to crash and reboot. I've recently replaced my router thinking that was the issue and it's still producing the same results.

Aug 24, 2015 5:22 PM in response to intde

I spoke with Technical Support who gave a slew of options to try and resolve the issue:

- rebooting

- power cycling

- testing the wi-fi connection

- changing the HDMI cable

- hardwiring the ATV to the router

- etc.

none of which worked.

I inquired to Technical Support about an ATV (gen 3) replacement program and was told that it ended on December 2014. They also said that the replacement itself is up to a retail establishment. I had someone from Tech Support contact the store closest to me and they said that they would NOT honor it. So now i'm stuck with a paperweight 😐

So if you're ATV is having some sort of issues that can't be resolved under Apple Care, the you're SOL and have to get another one.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Apple TV (gen 3) rebooting issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.