Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

* 2015 12" Macbook "Light Sensors"

Hi

I have noticed that since we have owned our new 12" 2015 MacBook, the display brightness dims without warning and it gets quite annoying, especially when the room I'm in is quite dark.

I've also noticed that the keyboard illumination might be on when I power up my MacBook and then, quite randomly, it goes off without warning and then at other times when I'm using it, I suddenly see the keyboard illuminate.

What's going on here? Is it something to do with the 'light sensors' and where are they situated on the 12" MacBook?

I realise that this might be something to do with energy saving and extending battery life but, is it possible to stop the display dimming and the keyboard illumination turning off and can it be configured to suit the user?

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 2:09 PM

2 replies

Aug 24, 2015 11:45 PM in response to Brave01Heart

Actually there's a setting to maintaining the keyboard light. What I read from your description, I suspect you've set the keyboard light to go off within a certain timeframe of idling. Just slide it to "Never" then it should be ok. Your display will dim if the room is dark, and if the room is bright it'll turn brighter. This is normal, because bright screen in the dark will add stress to your eyes, so it will dim it in the dark, when your room is bright, the screen will adjust the screen to be brighter for better visibility against surrounding light. So if you wanna have better control over screen brightness, just follow Kappy's instructions. Uptick the "Automatically Adjust Brightness." Hope my explanation can eliminate some of your fears.

* 2015 12" Macbook "Light Sensors"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.