Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is Mindspark, & should I delete it?

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 3:56 PM

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Extensions

Remove all extensions that you don't know you need. None is required for normal operation.

2 replies

Aug 24, 2015 8:32 PM in response to pchute12

To answer your question, chute --

Mindspark Toolbar got on your computer after you have installed a freeware software (video recording/streaming, download-managers or PDF creators) that had bundled into their installation this browser hijacker. This browser hijacker is also bundled within the custom installer on many download sites (examples: CNET, Brothersoft or Softonic), so if you have downloaded a software from these websites, chances are that the Mindspark tooolbar was installed during the software setup process. Very often users have no idea where did it come from, so it’s not surprising at all that most of them assume that Mindspark Toolbar is a virus.

The Mindspark Toolbar it’s technically not a virus, but it does exhibit plenty of malicious traits, such as rootkit capabilities to hook deep into the operating system, browser hijacking, and in general just interfering with the user experience. The industry generally refers to it as a “PUP,” or potentially unwanted program.

It should be in your Safari Extensions list.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.