Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Youtube page not opening in safari or chrome on mac

Hi,

So safari hasn't been letting me load the youtube page for the past couple of days and I tried force quitting, deleting history and cookies, then relaunching with the shift button, but nothing I've tried has let me load the youtube page successfully. So I downloaded chrome but even that web browser won't let me open the youtube page. This kind of all started when I agreed to some updates from the app store, but I can't think of why that would affect the youtube page of all things.

The only other weird thing I can think of that may have caused this was when I unknowingly clicked a link in a phishing email. But the link led to a page that didn't load and that was the end of that... could I have gotten some kind of virus from that incident?

I'm kind of at my wits' end and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if it helps in some way, for some reason 8tracks doesn't load in safari but it does in chrome.

Really confused, but again, any help would be greatly appreciated & thanks in advance

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 2:08 PM

5 replies

Aug 26, 2015 8:53 PM in response to Linc Davis

All youtube pages. When I try to load any youtube page in safari, the little blue bar that indicates how far the loading is happening freezes about 1/8 through. For chrome, after a few seconds of trying to load a youtube page, it just goes to "This webpage is not available."

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate your trying to help

Aug 27, 2015 6:26 AM in response to hbeanie92

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

mite

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

Aug 27, 2015 9:10 PM in response to hbeanie92

You may have installed ad-injection malware ("adware").

Some of the most common types of adware can be removed by following Apple's instructions. If those instructions don't work for you, or if you have trouble following them, see below.

This easy procedure will detect any kind of adware that I know of. Deactivating it is a separate, and even easier, procedure that doesn't involve downloading anything.

Some legitimate software is ad-supported and may display ads in its own windows or in a web browser while it's running. That's not malware and it may not show up. Also, some websites carry intrusive popup ads that may be mistaken for adware.

If none of your web browsers is working well enough to carry out these instructions, restart the computer in safe mode. That will disable the malware temporarily.

Step 1

Please triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. Press return. Either a folder named "LaunchAgents" will open, or you'll get a notice that the folder can't be found. If the folder isn't found, go to the next step.

If the folder does open, press the key combination command-2 to select list view, if it's not already selected. Please don't skip this step.

There should be a column in the Finder window headed Date Modified. Click that heading twice to sort the contents by date with the newest at the top. If necessary, enlarge the window so that all of the contents are showing.

Follow the instructions in this support article under the heading "Take a screenshot of a window." An image file with a name beginning in "Screen Shot" should be saved to the Desktop. Open the screenshot and make sure it's readable. If not, capture a smaller part of the screen showing only what needs to be shown.

Start a reply to this message. Drag the image file into the editing window to upload it. You can also include text in the reply.

Leave the folder open for now.

Step 2

Do as in Step 1 with this line:

/Library/LaunchAgents

The folder that may open will have the same name, but is not the same, as the one in Step 1. As in that step, the folder may not exist.

Step 3

Repeat with this line:

/Library/LaunchDaemons

This time the folder will be named "LaunchDaemons."

Step 4

Open the Safari preferences window and select the Extensions tab. If any extensions are listed, post a screenshot. If there are no extensions, or if you can't launch Safari, skip this step.

Step 5

If you use the Firefox or Chrome browser, open its extension list and do as in Step 4.

Youtube page not opening in safari or chrome on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.