Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You must connect using Firewire to synch the iPod "iPod."

I have a 30 GB g4 iPod that has not been used in a while. My g5 iPod was stolen by some low life who broke my car window to get it, so my wife gave me her old iPod.

When I connect it to my Mac, I get the message that it is corrupt, and must be restored. When I try to restore it by clicking the handy restore button on the screen in the iTunes UI, I receive the message that I must connect it via Firewire. Which seems odd. THis unit never required Firewire previously and does not seem to have any Firewire interface.

It is a Model No. A1099 and has the standard, old style USB connector on its undersurface, a headphones jack and lock on the top, plus a small oblong opening that I do not recognize as anything that is apparently the remote port.

How would I connect this to a Firewire cable?
Is there some other way of addressing this? I have done the lock on and off a few times, hold the select and middle button to the count of 10-one thousand and gotten the Apple logo to appear, several times, to no avail.

Almost to the point of trying to use the Windows box to read and format it.
Any ideas?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 2:29 PM

7 replies

Aug 26, 2015 1:53 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks. I am running 10.10.5 - I don't spend that much time here; it never occurred to me to keep my profile updated with what version of the OS I was currently on. Too bad that info doesn't update automatically for logged in users.

This problem is "solved" - ish.

I took it to my wife, and she was able to restore it via the USB cable attached to her Macbook Air, no misleading Firewire messages appeared. So, still not clear on why it wouldn't do that for me, or why I never ran into any issues when updating my G5 iPod before it got stolen, but then I guess the world is filled with odd little mysteries, isn't it?

Thanks for your time.

Aug 26, 2015 5:39 PM in response to Fuzzy2k

Your model supports Firewire & USB, possibly this one…

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ipod/specs/ipod_photo_30gb.html

The original Dock cable may have shipped with a Firewire version, I think it may have depended on whether you brought the Mac or PC version.

I wonder if the USB port was not able to supply enough power. Normally the OS is good a stating this error. Firewire supplies more voltage & current to devices. Obviously try other leads if it happens again.

You must connect using Firewire to synch the iPod "iPod."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.