Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes external drive/linking/cloud

Hi,

I'm running Yosemite on my MacBook Air-Late 2010 (250 GB) I have installed the latest iTunes. I'm not so thrilled with it actually. May just take time to get used to it. I have a few questions. They are all linked so I've put them all together here:

I store 45 GB of my music on my Time Capsule (purchased 2010-2TB version 7.6.4). Because there is so much I have had to go through it all and choose ONLY what I'm currently listening to. I like that I can access with the new iTunes all my music at work too. However...

1. Can I link my Time Capsule to 'the cloud' so I can access all my music without having to load it on my Mac?
  2. I have tied to link my Mac iTunes to my Time Capsule as default library but it constantly loses the default and I have to start over again. How do I fix this? Is it fixable?
  3. What happens to my music (in the cloud & on my Time Capsule/Mac) after the 3 month trial ends if I choose not to continue?

Thanks.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 7:05 PM

2) Make sure the Time Capsule is always awake and mounted on the computer before starting iTunes. Some use an alias to help remind them. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3282856?answerId=17051276022#17051276022 - "Create an alias of iTunes and place it on the network drive. Then drag that alias to the dock so when iTunes launches the drive has to mount if it is not already."

3) In iCloud it goes on a 30 day suspension and is then deleted (nut purchases are in theory always there). Any Apple Music stored for offline use won't play.

1) There's a bunch of ways to do this. It sounds like you already use one. Put your library on the other drive.

Using a Time Capsule for backup and storing an iTunes library is a bad idea. What will you do when the TC dies and takes your library with it? No backup.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2015 7:05 PM in response to JLPSolutions

2) Make sure the Time Capsule is always awake and mounted on the computer before starting iTunes. Some use an alias to help remind them. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3282856?answerId=17051276022#17051276022 - "Create an alias of iTunes and place it on the network drive. Then drag that alias to the dock so when iTunes launches the drive has to mount if it is not already."

3) In iCloud it goes on a 30 day suspension and is then deleted (nut purchases are in theory always there). Any Apple Music stored for offline use won't play.

1) There's a bunch of ways to do this. It sounds like you already use one. Put your library on the other drive.

Using a Time Capsule for backup and storing an iTunes library is a bad idea. What will you do when the TC dies and takes your library with it? No backup.

Aug 31, 2015 3:32 PM in response to Limnos

Thanks for the reply. I actually took the alias and dragged it right into the iTunes Media folder to replace the current MUSIC folder. I just removed "alias" from the title. Seems to be working 🙂

How much music are we permitted to upload to the new iTunes 'cloud' system. I have over 45 GB of music. And believe it or not, I use it all from time to time, depending on mood. It would be great to access all of it at the office or on the road.

iTunes external drive/linking/cloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.