Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loud fan noise?

My Apple Mac Pro is acting up. Sometimes all of a sudden the fan starts making a loud noise(or at least it sounds like the fan) and the desktop is unusable and frozen and I'm forced to restart then it seems to run fine without issue. This happened once too when I was just starting up the computer not sure what this could be anyone have any ideas?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 13GB RAM with dual monitors,

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 5:59 PM

3 replies

Aug 24, 2015 6:33 PM in response to Gothboy

Sometimes what sounds like the chassis fans is actually the graphics card fan. It can make a din all by itself.

The side door is not interlocked, and can be removed with the unit running. use caution, components can be HOT.

If writing from Europe, the EU thinks you are too stupid to keep your fingers away from the plastic fan blades, so be extra careful.

Aug 25, 2015 5:58 PM in response to Gothboy

If the graphics card fan is making all the noise, and "the desktop is unusable and frozen" that adds evidence that the problem may be a dying graphics card and nothing more.

If your Mac is operating normally, even if the screen is blank, control-Eject brings up a familiar dialog box:

User uploaded file

any letters other than:

R for restart

S for Sleep

Esc for Cancel

or Return for Shutdown

will produce the System Beep sound, and your Mac is running fine, but your graphics card is not.

Loud fan noise?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.