Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 8.4.1 terrible update!

Hi All,

I have updated my iphone 6 plus to iOS 8.4.1 when it came out and what a terrible result it has been. the update itself went fine just like all other updates but the result in how iOS crashes and not respons is terrible!

I have lots of problems:

• Music app does not respond. cannot listen to music and does not seem to recognise sometimes that i have a subscription
  • ibooks, the app opens a white screen appears and the app hangs. cannot use the app
  • podcasts app hangs and crashes
  • same goes for a lot of other apps

Per situation of a hanging app i can reboot the device and one of these above mentioned apps seems to work, but the other apps have the same problem. when i reboot again and first use another app that works fine but then the others don't

what the ... is happening here. an update should fix things not make it worse 👿

thanks for your reply!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 10:19 PM

12 replies

Aug 24, 2015 10:24 PM in response to mavdb

Back up your device to iCloud or iTunes and import your Photos to the computer your sync with, and then go to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content & Settings. When you set it up, do not restore it from the backup. Download or sync the apps you are having issues with and see if they persist on a "clean" system. If they do not, then that indicates that you had corrupted data on your device, and you will have to rebuild it "manually".

If the issue continues with those apps even when they are running on a clean system, then I would want to ensure that all of those apps were downloaded form the App Store. If any of them were not, that could be the issue.

Also, your device is not jailbroken, correct? You do not have any sort of Anti Virus software running on your device, correct?

Cheers,

GB

Aug 24, 2015 10:36 PM in response to gail from maine

Hi Gail,

Thanks for your reply, nope never illegal stuff just out of the box. never experienced any issues with iOS updates. i hesitate to erase all settings because most of the problems are the native apple apps and the work i have to put in to it to get it all back again. I am also afraid of loosing a lot of information stored on my device like all my sporting data (i have also got the apple watch). If i backup and do not restore again i have lost this right?

gr Marcel

Aug 24, 2015 11:02 PM in response to mavdb

Yes, your data would be in the backup, but if you end up determining that you have corrupted data on your device, and decide not to restore to that backup because of that, you would lose data.

However, the "test" I recommended does not prevent you from restoring to the backup you make right before you reset to Factory.

By resetting to Factory and not restoring to the backup the first time around, you are just trying to isolate the issue. You will be able to determine if you have corrupted data, or if you have a hardware issue. If the issue goes away, you have corrupted data. If it remains, you have a hardware issue. But, either conclusion does not prevent you from resetting to Factory again, and then restoring to that backup you made. It just pinpoints where the issue may be.

You did indicate that you have already tried the "hold down the Home and Power buttons at the same time" reset, correct? With only minimal relief?

Have you also double-clicked on your Home button and made sure that all apps have been closed?

Just throwing out a couple of other easier tests than the reset to factory....

Cheers,

GB

Aug 29, 2015 7:43 AM in response to mavdb

mavdb wrote:

No I did not!

Why not? Why would you live with problems that may be fixable in the hopes that the next version of the iOS may fix problems? If the problems are with an app you have installed or with corrupt data, you may well just transfer the problem to the next version of the software. If there is data corruption on your phone, you also increase the possibility that something may go wrong with the update. Deal with the problem now.

IOS 8.4.1 terrible update!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.