Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retrieving docs from a PowerMac(!)

I have a PowerMac 5400/120 that I'd like to get the files off of. I no longer have the keyboard or mouse or the OS8 startup disk (upgraded, it came with Sys 7). And I really don't want to spend a lot on getting the peripherals.

Any suggestions about how to hook the drive up to my MBAir or MacMini? It's a Quantum Sirocco, 3.5", 1.6GB.

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 2:44 AM

4 replies

Aug 25, 2015 8:10 AM in response to riotinside

Fortunately the 5400 was one of the earliest Macs to use IDE hard drives instead of SCSI. You can use this adaptor:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NVSPATA/

to mount the 5400's drive (removed from the computer first) on your modern Macs as if it were an external hard drive. You won't be able to run programs, but you can move data files.

Aug 25, 2015 8:36 PM in response to riotinside

riotinside wrote:

I have a PowerMac 5400/120 ...OS8 ... Sys 7...

... how to hook the drive up to my MBAir or MacMini? ...

some good suggestions on the hardware options to access the files. However, an issue you might have is actually editing any of the files that were created with discontinued Classic Mac programs in file formats that might not be readable by any software that runs on a modern Intel Mac.

You might need some special conversion utility to extract, say WriteNow documents, for example, this link addresses the dilemma you face:

http://ask.metafilter.com/204539/Translating-WriteNow-Mac-files

might be easier to do this kind of conversion with a PPC/OS X/Classic-capable Mac than directly to an Intel Mac without even Rosetta, although there is SheepShaver emulation out there if you are really in a bind to run older Mac software on your Intel Macs.

Aug 26, 2015 2:11 AM in response to Glen Doggett

I will definitely try the USB adaptor off the drive. I did bring it to a reputable repair shop to see if they could access the drive, but with no success. But considering the computer was older than the kid I gave it to, I didn't have high hopes.

I am not terribly worried about what to do with the files once I have them, though that is a fair point. They are being retrieved for mostly nostalgic purposes. SWIM has been holding onto this 47lb doorstop for 20 years, and I know a kid who would love to mess around with it, so I'm trying to make that happen.

Retrieving docs from a PowerMac(!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.