Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to get into mail from email app

Mail app is not working. Tries to open accounts, but then returns to home screen.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 11:11 PM

4 replies

Aug 26, 2015 7:28 AM in response to wyrtyr1

Hello wyrtyr1,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

To start troubleshooting this issue where your Mail app quits unexpectedly after opening on your iPad, I suggest first forcing the Mail app to close, and then restart your iPad.

1. Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps.
  2. Swipe left to find the app you want to close.
  3. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

Force an app to close in iOS - Apple Support

1. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears.
  2. Drag the slider to turn your device completely off.
  3. After the device turns off, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button again until you see the Apple logo.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Take care.

Aug 26, 2015 7:47 AM in response to wyrtyr1

Please try the two steps Alex described above, hopefully they will take care of the issue. If they do not, I suggest a forced restart. Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it comes up. You will not lose anything.

If this still does not take care of it, I recommend the following. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > locate your email provider and click on the account. Then on the next page Delete Account. Then restart the iPad normally and go back to Settings > Mail… and add the account again.

If needed there are additional steps available, post back and advise.

Sep 2, 2015 9:25 AM in response to wyrtyr1

What kind of account do you have? Is it an IMAP account (likely) like a Gmail or Yahoo or Outlook? If so, let's say Yahoo, open Safari, then search for your email provider, i.e., Yahoo.com, and try logging into your account from there. It should look just like it shows up on your PC or Mac. If it works there you likely have a corrupted Mail app. Please post back with the results and I will guide you from forward. If it does not work, something is wrong with your email provider and you would have to contact them. Le me know... thanks.

Unable to get into mail from email app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.