Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

block contact imessage

Dear all.

I'm currently using iMessage on MacPro to communicate with my colleagues, and they're using iPhone. Just wonder if they could block my message via iMessage on iPhone (in this case, we're using different device Mac vs iPhone) ?? I sent quite a lot of messages to them, system turned back the "Delivered" under the box, but no replies received so far.

Thank you all.

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 2:14 AM

3 replies

Aug 25, 2015 1:04 PM in response to pumpkit

Hi,

Let's see if I have understood this.

You are iMessaging some Contacts from an Mac.

They have Macs and iPhones.

You are concerned the iPhone is retuning the "Delivered" message when you actually want to confirm the receipt on their Mac.

It is best if you use the Apple ID when "Aiming" iMessages as someone's Mac.

Nominally iMessages are Copied at the Servers end and delivered Uniquely to each device.

Having said that it means the "original" goes to the device that is the lead for that ID (or iPhone Number) and that device returns the "Delivered" or "Read" subtext messages.

Therefore iPhone will "respond" to iPhone Numbered iMessages whereas the Mac will respond to Apple ID ones.

MORE...

This is further complicated by the settings made in Send and Receive on the iPhone with the "Start Conversations From" and the similar setting on the Mac.

This can mean that the Mac is "spoofing" the iPhone Number in effect but it sort of raises the priority of the iPhone Number on the Mac for the receipt of iMessages as well as Starting new conversations.

You can set each device to have it's Own ID as the "Start Conversations From".

On my iPhone it is set as the Number and on the Mac as the Apple ID.

Rather than setting a Block (which gets synced across all devices) you can turn Off the Apple ID on the iPhone (See Send and Receive) and the iPhone Number on the Mac.

This way the individual Device will be the one responding.

Whilst this works for short periods (and keeps both devices registered) prelonged setting it this way can Unlink the two devices.

Of course if you don't know the Apple ID you are going to be stuck anyway.

User uploaded file

9:04 p.m. Tuesday; August 25, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Aug 26, 2015 12:22 PM in response to pumpkit

Hi,

The end recipient is the one who has to set whether "read" is sent back.

I have not used that myself so I don't know if the second device, as it were, can be the one that send the "read" indication.

They would have to set the "read" item in the Preferences on their Mac and make sure it was Off in the iPhone settings.

User uploaded file

8:22 p.m. Wednesday; August 26, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

block contact imessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.