Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphon 6 Broken Touch ID-complete phone damaged!

My Iphone 6 was sent to apple support to check why it is not able to reset it to factory settings.The Iphone is not booting. Reset to Factory ends with 50%

Error: Touch ID Sensor was not usable in Settings. Not able to start the touch ID. Apple said: Reset it to factory. This doesnt works. As Google says, because it is not possible to reset it to factory because of the broken Touch ID.

3 Month before the touch ID Problem, I had to repair the display in a NON APPLE Repair Center but witth an original Appple Display. ( Reason: 1 Day before Holidays I could not wait 2 weeks!!) Because the display was changed, the apple support says now they cannot fix the problem. They sent the iphone back and tell me i have to buy a new one. JUST BECAUSE A DAMAGED TOUCH ID SENSOR!!! THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!!! Google says, that if the touch ID is broken, the Iphone is not able to reboot and reset to factory settings.Changing the touch ID is not allowed and it is not possible to use another brand new touch ID. The Touch ID can only fixed by apple and apple will not repair it. All other stores can not repair it. Why is Apple not able to repaiur the my device? Its 9 month old and i cannot use it!!!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 3:40 AM

28 replies

Aug 25, 2015 5:22 AM in response to jani23mm

The Apple warranty states that work performed by anyone but Apple or their officially Authorized service centers voids your warranty. When you had the screen replaced you forfeit all future support by Apple. And despite whatever the service shop told you, the display they replaced it with was either a salvaged part from a broken iPhone, a black market part or an outright counterfeit part - there is no place for any non-Apple authorized service center to buy OEM new parts (Apple and the OEM have never set up any parts distribution network for non-Apple authorized retail clients).

You made your choice not to wait to get it serviced by Apple with actual OEM new parts, now you need to accept the consequences of that decision.

Aug 25, 2015 7:16 AM in response to Michael Black

Sorry Michael you are completly wrong.

1. The changed Display is original Apple. It is from another original broken Iphone6. No discussion. Apple was not able to check this and to verify this.

2. The main point is, that Apple is not WILLING to repair the Touch ID. As you know, nobody is able to repair it because it cannot be replaced! That means, everybody who is out of warranty and has a damanged Touch ID/ Home Button is NOT able to let it repair. The phone is completly scrap metal! For everybody! This is nonsense and just to say: "Your fault leave us alone"---> is not acceptable!" Just to be clear: I want to pay for repair of touch ID but no one is interested in this. Everybody says: Touch ID Damaged = Buy a new phone!

My question is, how will Apple repair the touch id without changing the complete phone? How will

Aug 25, 2015 7:27 AM in response to jani23mm

jani23mm wrote:

3 Month before the touch ID Problem, I had to repair the display in a NON APPLE Repair Center but witth an original Appple Display.

No, you didn't have to do that. Why would you take a phone under warranty, to a 3rd party repair knowing that it would void your warranty. The device is worthless now. Your only alternative is to purchase a new phone, whatever you want to buy, but the iPhone 6 you have will never work. Putting a display in that did not match the home button for Touch ID didn't help. Obviously this repair center does not know what they are doing, or they would not have performed the repair.

And to address your reply to Michael, point 2, you take the device to Apple, not to some backdoor repair facility.

You put yourself in the predicament, you will have to deal with it.

Aug 25, 2015 7:57 AM in response to jani23mm

jani23mm wrote:

1. The changed Display is original Apple. It is from another original broken Iphone6. No discussion. Apple was not able to check this and to verify this.

2. The main point is, that Apple is not WILLING to repair the Touch ID. As you know, nobody is able to repair it because it cannot be replaced! That means, everybody who is out of warranty and has a damanged Touch ID/ Home Button is NOT able to let it repair. The phone is completly scrap metal! For everybody! This is nonsense and just to say: "Your fault leave us alone"---> is not acceptable!" Just to be clear: I want to pay for repair of touch ID but no one is interested in this. Everybody says: Touch ID Damaged = Buy a new phone!

My question is, how will Apple repair the touch id without changing the complete phone? How will

As I said, you did NOT get a new, OEM part, you got a salvaged part. No different than getting a car part from the salvage yard. And it was installed by people who have not undergone Apple's authorization training and certification. Hence, Apple's view is your warranty is now null and void. End of discussion.

Had you not had it messed around with by non-Apple certified people, it would have been "repaired" by replacing the entire phone with a refurbished one - that is, refurbished by the actual original equipment manufacturer back at their plants in China using only truly new parts. That has always been Apple's model for most iDevice repairs - they replace the entire device with one that has undergone rigorous factory refurbishment by the same company that makes the new devices.

That's also one of the reasons Apple will not touch your phone. They have to be able to guarantee to FoxConn that the phone contains only original OEM parts and has not been tampered with by non-authorized technicians as FoxConn will refurbish or recycle it and they in turn then need to know the state of the devices they take back from Apple. Apple can no longer send your device back with a guarantee it is in original factory configuration.

Aug 25, 2015 9:14 AM in response to jani23mm

jani23mm wrote:

Please read Michael's post for detailed information.

Aug 25, 2015 9:46 AM in response to Michael Black

Nobody sees what my point is:

My point is NOT that i will have a repair based in warranty. I know that my warranty is not longer valid. I will pay for the repair of the phone BUT APPLE IS NOT ABLE TO REPAIR IT. Why is it not possible to repair my simple touch id? I will pay for it.

My point is: All Apple Users which have problems with the touch id, are getting no support from apple, if the device is > 1 Year. The point is that no one is able to repair a simple touch id problem with Iphone 6 and that means everybody who has this problems in future will not get any repair! Because of a simple 10€ Touch ID Problem! This is completely unfair and not understandable. I checked this with google and there are so many users having problems with the touch id sensor. It doesnt matter if there was a unauthorized repair or not. All answers from you are not helping.

Question: Who can repair my TOUCH ID. And why is the phone not resetting with a broken touch id. I dont need the touch id anymore but phone is not restoring if ID is broken. CRAP!

Aug 25, 2015 9:51 AM in response to jani23mm

They are not able to repair it because unauthorized modifications were made to the device, rendering it unserviceable.

Since you had someone else attempt a repair using parts obtained through illegitimate channels, it is no longer serviceable at all.

The ONLY possible sources for iPhone parts outside of an actual repair by Apple are salvaged parts, stolen parts or counterfeit parts.

Find a competent 3rd party repair shop and see if they can help you or just buy a new phone and move on.

Continuing to whine about it will not alter reality.

Aug 25, 2015 10:00 AM in response to jani23mm

IF you had not had the phone borked by an unauthorized 3rd party, you could have taken it to Apple Maybe they could have repaired it in house, at worst, they would have offered you an out of warranty replacement phone.

Your question is pointless, though, since you forfeited that option. Who knows, it could have been a simple 5 minute fix for the guy at the genius bar. It doesn't matter any more. Move on.

Aug 25, 2015 10:09 AM in response to jani23mm

You apparently have no common sense or sense of logic at all.

You had the phone modified by an unauthorized party using illegitimately obtained parts.

AFTER you had that done, the touch sensor failed. More than likely, the unauthorized repair is what borked the touch sensor.

Deal with it. Go back to the idiot who replaced the screen on the first place and see if they can help you. Or don't. I honestly don't care.

Aug 25, 2015 10:18 AM in response to KiltedTim

Wrong answer.

1. The new Display is Original Apple. Just the person who changed it is not an apple ***.

2. The new Display worked 3 month with touch id.

3. The Touch ID Problem is known Problem with many original Iphone 6. Not broken because of unauthorized repair!

You just search for excuses and you are not willing to give solutions. Okay buying a new phone is a solution but nonsense!

Aug 25, 2015 10:21 AM in response to jani23mm

jani23mm wrote:

Wrong answer.

1. The new Display is Original Apple. Just the person who changed it is not an apple ***.

2. The new Display worked 3 month with touch id.

3. The Touch ID Problem is known Problem with many original Iphone 6. Not broken because of unauthorized repair!

You just search for excuses and you are not willing to give solutions. Okay buying a new phone is a solution but nonsense!

You have been given the correct answer repeatedly but you refuse to acknowledge that you caused your difficulties when you had it repaired by an unauthorized repair shop.

Buying a new phone is not nonsense. It's the only way that you can extricate yourself from the mess that you put yourself into,

Iphon 6 Broken Touch ID-complete phone damaged!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.