Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HOW? - apply formula to multiple pie chart slices

Hi!

This is a though question. I spoke to multiple Apple Support people and no one knew the answer to this.

I want to "drag" / apply a formula to multiple slices of a pie chart. I can select one, go to Format-Wedges and edit the Value field. But I want to add the same Value / Formula to all of my slices. Copy paste does not work since it pastes the old formula (doesn't update the cells).

I would really appreciate your help. I have a lot of pie charts and changing each field automatically would be time consuming

Thank you!

Daniel

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 4:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 5:28 AM

Xpert,

there is no case in Numbers where modify the chart itself to affect the underlying data.

The chart uses (or references) data in a table. If you want to change the data which feeds the table, there are several ways:

Here is a pie chart using data from a table:

User uploaded file

To create this chart, enter the data in to the table (on the left). Make the first column and the first row headers.

select the data only (cells B2 thru B7)

now add the pie chart

As you can see, then data in the table "flows" to the chart (I added the arrows to emphasize this):User uploaded file

If you want to add the same value to all data entries, add a new column after the data in column B:

User uploaded file

I added column C, then I copied the data from column B and pasted it into column C.

Now select cell B2 and type:

=C2+4

shorthand for this is:

B2=C2+4

select cell B2, copy

select cells B2 thru G2, paste

User uploaded file

Now you can see, data flows from column C -> column B -> to the chart:

User uploaded file

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2015 5:28 AM in response to TheXpert93

Xpert,

there is no case in Numbers where modify the chart itself to affect the underlying data.

The chart uses (or references) data in a table. If you want to change the data which feeds the table, there are several ways:

Here is a pie chart using data from a table:

User uploaded file

To create this chart, enter the data in to the table (on the left). Make the first column and the first row headers.

select the data only (cells B2 thru B7)

now add the pie chart

As you can see, then data in the table "flows" to the chart (I added the arrows to emphasize this):User uploaded file

If you want to add the same value to all data entries, add a new column after the data in column B:

User uploaded file

I added column C, then I copied the data from column B and pasted it into column C.

Now select cell B2 and type:

=C2+4

shorthand for this is:

B2=C2+4

select cell B2, copy

select cells B2 thru G2, paste

User uploaded file

Now you can see, data flows from column C -> column B -> to the chart:

User uploaded file

HOW? - apply formula to multiple pie chart slices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.