Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 file sharing Yosemite Server

Hi,

I have a 10.10.5 server running with basic file sharing.

Macs and Win 7 clients can connect with no problems. However, win 10 clients logging with the same credentials cannot connect to the share point.

If i login as the administrator of the server from Win 10, it allows me to connect or mapped network drive.

This was working fine last week, but i'm starting to wonder if Win 10 was updated and caused this to fail? I have 3 machines running win 10 and all fail to connect. ("The specified network password is not correct")

Can anyone confirm if they are able to connect to a 10.10 File Store from Windows 10?

Thanks
Darren

OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), null

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 4:58 AM

9 replies

Aug 22, 2017 4:02 PM in response to SquirrelMac

I had the same issue connecting a Windows 10 box to a macOS Leopard server. I finally solved it with these steps:

1. On the Mac, double-check that Windows file sharing is enabled for the account that you want to connect with. In Leopard, this means opening System Preferences>Sharing. Select File Sharing, then click on Options and check both Share files and folders using SMB and the account name.
  2. On the Windows 10 machine, I opened a file window, then navigated up from the hard drive to the computer. On the Computer tab, Map network drive shows in the Network group.
  3. Click on Map network drive, choose your preferred drive letter and enter the path to the share.
  4. Check the box Connect using different credentials, then click on the Finish button.
  5. The Enter network credentials dialog opens. If the user name does not already say COMPUTERNAME\username, click on Use another account.
  6. Enter the computer name, a backslash and the short user name as created by macOS. Enter the password and click on OK. The computer should connect to the Mac share.

I had also set the WINS workgroup in macOS and the Send NTLMv2 response only parameter on the Windows machine as well, so it's possible those settings are necessary as well.

Aug 29, 2015 12:36 AM in response to SquirrelMac

Heya Squirrel Mac, I think I have the solution thanks to others that have had this issue over the years... (yep, used a lot of web searching)

Anyways, on the Windows 10 host, go to:

Administrative Tools

Local Security Policy

Local Policy

Security Options

Network security ; LAN manager authentication level

Click drop down and choose "Send NTLMv2 response only"

After making that change, the share connected again normally for me.

Sep 28, 2015 9:52 AM in response to TonyPHX_623

Hi SquirrelMac

Same issue 2 windows 10 PCs on my Yosemite Server suddenly failed to connect. I can't even login with the admin user and password of the OS X Server. I have followed the "Send NTLMv2 response only"instructions which appear in several places. 3 weeks working fine then I get the user name or password permission to connect message from Windows 10.

Weirdly I have already mapped a drive (folder) on PC1 which connects fine to the shared folder but I can't log into the server or re map a different drive (shared folder).

Jan

Oct 8, 2015 11:45 PM in response to SquirrelMac

Figured it out.

On the Windows 10 host, go to:

Administrative Tools

Local Security Policy

Local Policy

Security Options

Network security ; LAN manager authentication level

Click drop down and choose "Send NTLMv2 response only"

Then log in using the computer name as well. Im my case PHIXER-VPC\username and password.

VPN is working now as well after some regedit:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/926179

In step 7 set the value to "2".

Works with OD accounts and local accounts.

Jan 18, 2016 1:57 PM in response to SquirrelMac

This is driving me nuts. I have a 10.10.5 server and a Win 10 Pro client. Initially couldn't connect to anything. Made the "Send NTLMv2 response only" change and could connect to shares as local users but still can't connect as an OD user. Have tried PC-NAME\User and SERVER-NAME\User.

Both give this error when trying to map a drive:

The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error occurred: An extended error has occurred.

Trying to browse directly gives the standard 'There may be a problem with your network' error.

On the server I see a lot of this in logs:

smbd[80207]: Failed to SIGN Cmd<0xb>

If anyone can shed any light I'd be most grateful!

Many thanks,

Windows 10 file sharing Yosemite Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.