Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Juniper SSL vpn connection using Mac's built in VPN

Hi All,

I am using Juniper Network connect VPN client in Mac OS X to connect to SSL VPN server to my organisation network. Similar way I will use "Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility" also to connect with different SSL VPN server. Both Cisco/Juniper SSL VPN I am able to success fully connect by Safari web browser and finally the vpn client is launched & connected. I am using Yosemite (10.10.4).

Does the same is possible to connect to Cisco/Juniper SSL VPN servers using Mac built in VPN? (via System Preferences| Network | VPN) The Mac OS X native support only PPTP/ L2TP/ Cisco IPsec protocol for VPN.

If I have tried to configure using Cisco IPSec in native. It is failing to connect says "The VPN server did not respond. Verify the server address". All my configuration data are correct.

Thanks in Advance.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), In 10.6.8 also its happening.

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 5:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 11:45 PM

Objective:

I am trying to develop a Mac application which provides VPN connectivity service to a SSL VPN server. We have already developed an SSL VPN support by using web browsed based (using WebKit Framework) SSL VPN. It was not working now because the WebKit browser failed to load any Java applet. So I am looking for an alternate to make my vpn to work via Mac OS X built in support.

Any help.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2015 11:45 PM in response to hariharanfrmblr

Objective:

I am trying to develop a Mac application which provides VPN connectivity service to a SSL VPN server. We have already developed an SSL VPN support by using web browsed based (using WebKit Framework) SSL VPN. It was not working now because the WebKit browser failed to load any Java applet. So I am looking for an alternate to make my vpn to work via Mac OS X built in support.

Any help.

Aug 26, 2015 3:04 AM in response to hariharanfrmblr

The built-in VPN clients in Yosemite and earlier are -

• PPTP
  • L2TP
  • Cisco IPSec

None of those can connect to an SSL VPN server.

What maybe possible is to reconfigure your either Cisco VPN server, or Juniper VPN server to enable one of these three standards as well or instead of SSL.

Now network managers have chosen to use SSL only VPN solutions for a multitude of reasons including the following.

• It is possible to automatically deploy and install the full software and settings to both Mac and Windows clients simply by getting them to visit a webpage
  • SSL VPN solutions like Cisco IPSec but unlike PPTP and L2TP can be used as part of a VPN on Demand solution
  • Windows clients do not have built-in Cisco IPSec support so using SSL for Windows and Macs is considered easier
  • An SSL style VPN solution can defeat VPN hostile measures some ISPs and networks use

In view of the above your network manager may not allow using anything other than SSL VPN even if your particular Cisco or Juniper appliance supports them.

Those are some of the positive aspects of an SSL VPN solution. There are however plenty of negative ones as well.

The process of automatically deploying an SSL setup by visiting a webpage requires your web-browser have Java support enabled. Java in a web-browser is one of the worst things to do as it makes your web-browser vulnerable to lots of malware and this will affect Macs as well as Windows, this issue particularly offends me, in fact this is why Apple periodically disable Java in OS X due to such security issues until a new patched version of Java is available. Of course while Java is disabled by Apple this means you either cannot install the SSL VPN settings and client, or the existing SSL VPN client itself is disabled. I have seen this happen numerous times with the result that hundreds of people in a corporate were completely locked out of the company VPN system and on one occasion this was for the best part of four days due to a weekend and bank holiday.

Also using any VPN client other than the one Apple include is notorious for 'breaking' when Apple issue a new version of the operating system, until both the supplier updates their system to fix the issue, and your network manager gets around to updating your VPN Server to include that fix. This again can take days or weeks to happen.

So I currently since I have the choice and control over our systems where I now work use the built-in Cisco IPSec client with a Cisco IPSec compatible VPN server.

Note: PPTP is now considered to be particularly insecure due to its ancient design, L2TP is slightly better, and Cisco IPSec especially with the use of certificates rather than a pre-shared key is better still. Another newer even more secure option not listed above is IKEv2, this is supported already in iOS8 but is not supported in Yosemite and earlier on Macs. It is supported in El Capitan.

Juniper SSL vpn connection using Mac's built in VPN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.