Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio scrambled on mobile from iMovie11

So I'm using iMovie 11 (9.0.9)

I'm using a Rode NTG2 to record sound on a Canon DSLR. All sounds and looks great when I import it all.

When I export to any of the file formats from the Export to Quicktime option, it all works fine viewing as a file on the computer.

When I upload it to YouTube it plays fine on desktop and tablet.

However when I view it as an embedded link on Facebook, the audio is "scrambled". Similarly, if I view it on YouTube on my iPhone 6 it is also scrambled. Unless that is, if I listen to it on earphones on the iPhone.

An example of what I mean is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZNmGQmfY-s

So:

desktop: fine

iPad: fine

Embedded: not fine

Iphone external speaker: not fine

iPhone earphones: fine

I also use a Rode videopro (the type which sits in the cradle on top the camera). The sound isn't as good, but the sound works fine across all.

I've spoken to Rode who assure me it's nothing to do with the mic, even though there's clearly a difference.

Is it something to do with iPhones not playing "high resolution sound"? If so, how do I make the sound "low resolution"?

Thank you in advance for your help. This is driving me crazy...

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 8:41 AM

2 replies

Aug 31, 2015 10:29 PM in response to CappB

Try recording a video with the camera's built-in mic and upload it to YouTube. If it plays clearly (un-scrambled) on YouTube via your iPhone 6 without the earphones, then the external mic is the issue.

You may have to do separate editing when using the external mic. Split the audio from the video file, save it separately as an mp 3, then reattach it to the muted video. Realignment will be a challenge, and instead of this detailed "fix" you may decide to use the Canon's on-board mic for videos made for YouTube sharing. 🙂

Audio scrambled on mobile from iMovie11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.