Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

E-mails open on quit and re-startup

Up until two days ago, when I quit Mail, shut down and then logged back in, emails that I never closed would still be open. Also, e-mails that I'd minimized would reappear on the dock. This was great because I could pick up work where I'd left off. Suddenly, this has stopped and I don't know why.

Advice to get it back?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 7:35 AM

3 replies

Aug 26, 2015 8:00 AM in response to davnew11

Hey there davnew11,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

From what I gather, the Mail application's windows aren't automatically re-opening on your MacBook Pro. If you haven't already, take a look at the article linked below and make sure "Close windows when quitting an application" isn't selected in System Preferences.

Automatically re-open windows, apps, and documents on your Mac - Apple Support

When you open and quit an app

When you open an app, it automatically re-opens the windows you were working with the last time you quit the app. If you don't want apps to automatically re-open documents and windows, select "Close windows when quitting an application" (OS X Mountain Lion v10.8 and later) or deselect "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps" (OS X Lion v10.6) from the General pane of System Preferences.

User uploaded file

If an app continues to re-open its documents and windows when this feature is turned off, check the app's preferences for a similar feature. Some apps have their own setting for restoring windows.

To temporarily prevent an app from re-opening its documents and windows, hold the Shift key while you open the app.

Take care.

Aug 26, 2015 8:50 AM in response to Jason L

Jason,

I appreciate your thoughtful answer. My problem, though, is I do not have a "general" pane in system preferences. So, I cannot select the options as noted in the article. My system version is Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549). Consequently, I'm at a loss because this feature is supposed to be in versions 10.6 and later.

What do you think?

Thanks again.

David

E-mails open on quit and re-startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.