Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks - Stopped Working Today

Hi,

I've been using iBooks for years and today it stopped working on my iPad Air. It just shows a blank screen for a minute and then switches back to the desktop. Rebooting the iPad does not fix it. I still get the blank screen when I try to open iBooks.

Does anybody know what happened? I have the latest version of iOS.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 10:15 AM

9 replies

Aug 25, 2015 11:03 AM in response to flashkube2

It is crashing on you for some reason. Have you added any pdf files just before this started? It could be a corrupt file. Did you try closing the app and then force restart the iPad?

Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps. Swipe left to find the app you want to close. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

To force restart the device, press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

Aug 25, 2015 1:19 PM in response to flashkube2

I Have reset settings a few times on my two iPads, my iPhone and my iPod Touch. It's not as scary as I think that you think it is. However, it's your choice. Like Kilgore-Trout said, it's much less work and painful than restoring your device. BTW, I have restored all of my devices as well and never had a problem recovering all of my data, purchases, photos, etc.

Aug 25, 2015 5:59 PM in response to Demo

Ok, I reluctantly reset my iPad. iBooks then worked for about ten minutes and stopped again with the same symptoms (blank screen). Also, Apple Music stopped working, too. Then I restarted it again and iBooks worked again but that is the symptom I was getting today..it works for a few minutes and then goes blank. Maybe it will keep working this time. I will monitor for a day and then let you know.

Meanwhile, all my WiFi passwords from different places are now gone. Yes, I can reenter them but now I have to ask at each restaurant and other locations all over again. Not as easy as it sounds when dealing with foreign accents, thus my reluctance to do a reset.

Just tried Apple Music again and now it works. Perhaps it was waiting to update from the reset. Took about ten minutes. App store took about that long to work again, too. Am I too picky? It feels like Apple is slowly losing it's reliability factor. Naturally, I will give them another chance but I can no longer brag to my friends anymore about how reliable it is. That's not your fault, of course. I'm just being crabby.

Aug 26, 2015 3:09 AM in response to flashkube2

Without knowing all the details of your situation and circumstances (which are really none of my business anyway) I wouldn't know what your reluctance to resetting all settings was about. Yes, it takes a while to re-enter all of the settings and that is a PITA, but if it solves the problem, it was worth the time and effort. Hopefully you are on the right track now.

I'm not sure how to categorize what Apple is doing these days. I don't use Apple Music nor do I ever forsee the day when I will. Having that much music at my beck and call is not at all important to me. I rarely listen to music as it is and my tastes are very limited. Having said that, I think they are making things more complicated and consequently more issues are arising. That's just my lousy non technical two cents,

I wish you continued success and let us know how it goes for you.

Aug 27, 2015 8:25 AM in response to flashkube2

I'm having this problem too: since the last iOS update, iBooks has stopped working. The app opens and shows a blank white screen for ten to fifteen seconds, then crashes. Very occasionally it will load the most recent page I was reading before it freezes, but if it gets that far, (a) the status bar overlays the text in a janky way, and (b) the device loses all responsiveness (pressing the home button and even holding down the power button gives no response). After some time the app will crash and I'll have control over the device again.

It's sort of a bummer – iBooks is my favorite e-reader – but for now I've switched to using other apps. I'm hoping it's an issue that will be resolved in an upcoming software update.

iBooks - Stopped Working Today

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.