Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad driver for Win 10

I have a mid 2009 Macbook Pro 15 inch laptop. After upgrading from win 7 to win 10, my trackpad no longer works. Windows says it can't start the touchpad driver because information is missing from the registry. I have no idea who manufactured the trackpad, I assume it was apple. Is there a way to get the correct driver and install it in this situation?

Thanks for listening. I am only mildly tech savvy...

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 12:23 PM

8 replies

Aug 25, 2015 3:16 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks. Unfortunately that did not work. It appeared the driver updated but I am still getting the message that info in the registry is incomplete or corrupted. I have no idea what a registry is...

Interesting that the get windows 10 app told me that my device was fully compatible (mid 2009 macbook pro), yet on anther computer, my mid 2014 macbook pro, the windows 10 app is saying there are issues with the device and will not download win 10.

Aug 25, 2015 5:52 PM in response to PBousq

HI PBousq,

Microsoft, through the upgrade assistant, may tell you that your computer does have the minimum system requirements to be updated to Windows 10, but that is all from the Microsoft perspective. If may update to the latest version of Windows, but your hardware may not work to the max potential since Apple will not release any driver update for your computer model to run with Windows 10 (if it falls in the list of unsupported devices.) If you can live with the standard/universal set of drivers that Microsoft will load for you during the update process without using the max power of all your Apple hardware, you MAY be safe to update. Personally, I will not recommend it at all. If you do so, you are on your own; do it at your own risk.

If you have a class requirement to work in Windows, my best suggestion would be to install Virtualbox (https://www.virtualbox.org), which is legally free, and run your Windows in a virtual environment. Once you are done with your class, just dump the virtual machine, uninstall Virtualbox, and enjoy life!

Good luck, pal!

Dioshy

Aug 25, 2015 6:28 PM in response to dioshy

Dioshy, thanks for the response. The Win 10 app opines on the compatibility of devices and apps. Strangely, it did not find anything amiss on my older laptop, but it has a problem with the Broadcom Bluetooth driver on my newer laptop. I guess Broadcom hasn't addressed this yet. Anyway it refuses to convert my new laptop.

I can live without my touchpad as I have your everyday logitech laser mouse at hand. All of my programs work on Win 10 on the older device; I simply do not have the touchpad capabilities. Most of these are replicated using the mouse and mouse wheel.

Much as I love Apple, and I do, I am completely dependent on a PC for the digitizing programs I use, and frankly Quicken, (which is far superior in the PC version). I own Macbook Pros because I can flip between the two OS systems. If this conundrum continues, I will have to migrate back to PCs. A sad day that will be.

Your comment has me interested though, because I have not tried the virtual machine via Parallels yet. I do have version 10 which is compatible with win 10. I guess it is time I had a look....

Trackpad driver for Win 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.