Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set up Webmail successfully on my Mac OSX 10.7.5, Mail working perfectly. Today, Mail starts OK, inbox is up date, select a menu item, Mail locks up, have to use Force Quit, cannot select Preferences to remove Inbox, locks up, have to use Force Quit

Set up Webmail successfully on my Mac OSX 10.7.5, Mail working perfectly. Today, Mail starts OK, inbox is up date, select a menu item, Mail locks up, have to use Force Quit, cannot select Preferences to remove Inbox, locks up, have to use Force Quit.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 12:33 PM

12 replies

Aug 26, 2015 2:04 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you, tried that with no success. Went back to Webmail, reloaded the 'setup' in Mail application, launched it in Mac, got an error message, went into Mail, launched OK, Inbox uploaded with new mail, try to send a test message, box with error message 'cannot send message with the server, offers 'edit SMTP server list' or 'connection doctor' I try either, locks up, force quite, restart, back to square one.

Aug 26, 2015 3:38 PM in response to GuitartF

When you start Mail, open the Connection Doctor window right away.

Note the exact time when this lockup occurs.

Open console.app and look in system log for messages that pertain to mail, calendar, contacts, Accounts, and similar that occur just before the lockup. Post up to a screen full (by cut-and-paste, please, not a screenshot) and Readers may be able to help you home in on the problem.

Don't post thousands of unfiltered messages -- we are all volunteers here, and that is too much.

Aug 27, 2015 6:28 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Once again thank you! I've pasted below the information pertaining to the Mail lock up

8/27/15 9:18:26.429 AM Mail: Using V2 Layout

8/27/15 9:18:28.738 AM Mail: [0x7fb2fc034180] |ISyncSession|Error| ISyncSession record validation failure: Value pushed for property portNumber on com.apple.mail.Account is not of expected class NSString (string), rather __NSCFNumber.

8/27/15 9:18:28.738 AM Mail: exception raised during syncing: ISyncSession record validation failure: Value pushed for property portNumber on com.apple.mail.Account is not of expected class NSString (string), rather __NSCFNumber.

8/27/15 9:19:05.560 AM Mail: [<_LibSasl2SASLClient: 0x7fb2fb0115c0> mechanism: PLAIN security layer: no] Failed to start the SASL connection

SASL(-1): generic failure:

8/27/15 9:20:05.415 AM Mail: [<_LibSasl2SASLClient: 0x7fb2fc404f40> mechanism: PLAIN security layer: no] Failed to start the SASL connection

SASL(-1): generic failure:

8/27/15 9:21:29.359 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0xfc0fc].com.apple.mail[3063]) Exited: Terminated: 15

8/27/15 9:21:41.427 AM spindump: Saved hang report for Mail version 5.3 (1283) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Mail_2015-08-27-092141_*****-MacBook-Pro.hang

Aug 27, 2015 7:18 AM in response to GuitartF

That could be caused by your old mail account from 10.6 not converting properly to 10.7.

¿is that a possibility?

You may need to re-Create your account data. Before you do, get a piece of paper and write down the settings from each email Account, including ports and SSL or not and passwords (if you don't already have them written down somewhere). You may be facing tearing out all the Accounts and re-creating them from scratch, then re-Importing the saved email. remember each email account has settings for a Sender as well as settings for a Receiver.

Aug 27, 2015 7:26 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

No it isn't, just created it this week, should be up to date. Could you please point me in the right direction with regards to deleting the account data? That's what I'd like to do, start again, delete everything and start from fresh, it's a new Webmail account so not much data, not worried at all about losing tuff. I've tried by going into Preferences however, it locks up, selecting any item on the Mail menu just doesn't work. Is there a way I can go into Finder and actually delete relevant files??

Really appreciate your support!!!

Aug 27, 2015 7:53 AM in response to GuitartF

All the parts for your Mail are located in YOUR Userid:

~/Library/Mail (where tilde is a "live" abbreviation for your-userid)

the stuff in plain sight there is NOT what you want, because Mail had a major version change and all the stuff it uses now is one more level down in:

~/Library/Mail/V2

You will see envelope index and similar files -- these are re-computed when missing and will put your Mail back in order again.

"On My Mac" mailboxes have their own folders (just collections of messages), and there are folders for the mail in each account.

Mail account data (which seems to be the source of the problems) should be in separate files, possible ending in .plist -- any .plist missing when you start Mail be be re-created, or mail will initialize from scratch and invite you to set up anew.

I am sorry i cannot be more specific, I am running the Mail in 10.10.5 now, and the organization changed with the addition of a Master "Accounts" file for all Mail, Contacts, and Calendars accounts.

Aug 31, 2015 5:20 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Learnt how to restore from Time Machine, reloaded the V2 folder, working OK, found the root cause of the problem, it's the Mobile Me mailbox, it keeps on 'spinning', looking for a file I presume, can't find it and eventually locks up.

That's where I've got to, will now head to the Genius Bar on Thursday to see if the Genius can resolve the issue!??

Thanks for you help!

Set up Webmail successfully on my Mac OSX 10.7.5, Mail working perfectly. Today, Mail starts OK, inbox is up date, select a menu item, Mail locks up, have to use Force Quit, cannot select Preferences to remove Inbox, locks up, have to use Force Quit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.