Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro won't boot from DVD with new hard drive

This is a slightly unusual setup so bear with me.

I bought my MacBook Pro in around 2010 - it's a 13" aluminium model. After about 3 years, it appeared that the hard drive had failed. I bought a new hard drive, only to find that the MacBook couldn't recognise that either, so it turned out my hard drive connection cable needed replacing. I did this myself as I was well out of warranty and it was a simple fix. As the original hard drive turned out to be fine, I stuck that in an external USB case and used it as a non-precious back up and for extra storage. After that the MacBook functioned happily.

Fast forward to now, and the replacement hard drive has failed. I popped to the computer store and bought a new replacement hard drive, same specs as the one that died. I've put it in the macbook, and booted by having the original, USB encased hard drive plugged in as well. By doing this I was able to erase and partition the brand new drive ready to pick up my most recent time machine back up. However, this is where I'm having problems.

As soon as I've unplugged the original hard drive (which boots my old desktop and everything as though I never stopped using it as then main hard drive), I can't get the MacBook to boot up from the new hard drive on its own. My most recent time machine back up was running mountain lion, but the old hard drive is the OS that the MacBook started with (10.4?). I've tried the following:

- hold down ctl+R, nothing happens and I get flashing question folder

- hold down C with original grey applications install DVD disc in the disc drive, still flashing folder

- hold down C with Snow Leopard DVD disc in the drive, still flashing folder, and the disc drive makes struggling noises

As I was able to read, erase, and partition the new drive earlier on in the process, it doesn't seem like this is a problem with the SuperDrive. I don't know what else to try and all other articles seem to Apple to different scenarios. I'll be hugely grateful of any help, as I know there's a little life left in this machine yet!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 1:45 PM

4 replies

Aug 25, 2015 1:50 PM in response to StitchW

To boot from a Recovery HD you should use COMMAND-R, not CTRL-R. Do you have a functioning optical drive? Here is the proper process for installing Snow Leopard from the DVD.

Booting From An OS X Installer Disc

1. Insert OS X Installer Disc into the optical drive.

2. Restart the computer.

3. Immediately after the chime press and hold down the "C" key.

4. Release the key when the spinning gear below the dark gray Apple

logo appears.

5. Wait for installer to finish loading.

Clean Install of Snow Leopard

1. Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc or the Disc 1 that came

with your computer. Insert the disc into the optical drive and restart the computer.

After the chime press and hold down the "C" key. Release the key when you see

a small spinning gear appear below the dark gray Apple logo.

2. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue

button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

After DU loads select the hard drive entry from the left side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive

size.) Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. Set the number of

partitions to one (1) from the Partitions drop down menu, click on Options button

and select GUID, click on OK, then set the format type to MacOS Extended

(Journaled, if supported), then click on the Apply button.

3. When the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed

with the OS X installation and follow the directions included with the installer.

4. When the installation has completed your computer will Restart into the Setup

Assistant. After you finish Setup Assistant will complete the installation after which

you will be running a fresh install of OS X. You can now begin the update process

by opening Software Update and installing all recommended updates to bring your

installation current.

Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1.

Aug 25, 2015 3:01 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the help, unfortunately I've tried the steps with the Snow Leopard disk and I just get the flashing folder, no grey screen and loading spinner.

As for the original OS DVD, I can only find the applications one at the moment, and get the same result trying to boot from that. I'll keep trying to locate the original DVD, otherwise it looks like I'm stuck, though I'm worried it still won't work since I'm having no luck with the Snow Leopard DVD.

Aug 25, 2015 10:06 PM in response to StitchW

Are you sure you have a real Snow Leopard full retail installer disc? A flashing folder for an installer is not likely unless the disc isn't an installer disc.

In any event you cannot progress without a way to install Snow Leopard unless you have an even earlier version of OS X that you don't mind running of the time being.

You can purchase Snow Leopard through the Apple Store:Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.). The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will be sent physical media by mail after placing your order.

After you install Snow Leopard you will have to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 and give you access to the App Store.

MacBook Pro won't boot from DVD with new hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.