Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine won't back up via ethernet

I have a MacBook pro that I travel with between offices and work travel. Previously I would use in my base office wirelessly via time machine. Worked fine for web access and my backups.

Recently we had to change some network settings in the office due to a new ISP and different configuration. Took some doing to get everything up and running, even a call to Apple tech support at one point because of firewall and ISP router settings to make it all play well with Apple products.

Because of the network changes I have had to change how I manage my laptop. I now plug in with my thunderbolt > ethernet adapter > cat 5 > to my time capsule. I can get to my office network and the internet this way wired, but when I try to get time machine to back up with ethernet cable only I get an error message saying the drive is not available.

Is it possible to use only the thunderbolt >ethernet cable >to time capsule connections to back up my Macbook?

I would rather not use the wireless to back up via time machine as it interferes with some of my other work slowing down some things.

I am also the lone mac in an office of PC's. Although some of my mac problems are more difficult to solve in this environment, I would have to say that the problems occur less than once every 18 months. Once fixed the Mac just works. I see the other computers in the office needing daily maintenance and settings changes and tech support at least 3 times a week.

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help.

Chris

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 4:12 PM

6 replies

Aug 25, 2015 4:45 PM in response to Houma

Are you running Lion as per the profile or now upgraded ?? to Yosemite.. that all round network dog??

Did you reset Time Machine.. as in Yosemite it has rather major heart attacks at the slightest network changes??

If you reset TM then set it again to the new location of the TC.. it is new to Yosemite at least.. because it cannot remember its own name 5min after a reboot.. It will say it needs to do a new backup.. ignore that.. it will discover the previous backup and continue but only after it starts the backup.

Post again if you still have issues..

Please give a few screenshots from airport utility of the setup of the TC.

Sep 3, 2015 6:48 PM in response to Houma

You have setup WAN side with Static IP .. that is a good way to run things. Not my standard way but good way.

However I also need to see the LAN side setup.. or at least your computer setup.

In the computer.. have you setup ethernet with static IP??

eg.

User uploaded file

What is important here is that you not confuse the computer.. with router and dns. Router setting maybe should be set as per current settings.. or maybe via the TC.. it depends if the TC is isolated from the network.. if isolated then it must not be set as gateway or dns.

Anyway show me what you get.

Then try and manually mount the TC in finder..

Go, Connect to Server.. then type in

SMB://192.168.0.236

That should work.

Have you used some of my posts.. ??

Here is how to do it in full isolation.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6486672

In static IP mode which you are using then it should work as long as the Network dhcp setting is correct.. post me the screenshot of that as well.

Sep 4, 2015 2:24 PM in response to Houma

Sorry this takes ages as we sleep at opposite times..

I don't see any reason for it to fail by manual setup.

I want you to start over again.. reset the TC to factory and follow my setup of the TC exactly as here.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6486672

I want you to run the TC in router mode... not static IP.

This is for completely isolated TC .. so TC is plugged into the Mac by ethernet and nothing else.

If you have the TC plugged into anything else.. remove it.

time machine won't back up via ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.