Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Organizing photos transferred to a flash drive

I am running OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 and Photos 1.0.1. I want to save my photos to flash drives and would like to keep them organized as they are in Photos (by date). Unfortunately, when I just transfer them all I get on the flash drive is a list of file numbers I would like to be able to review them as I do in Photo without having to open them one at a time. Is it possible to transfer them in a way that when I go to the flash drive they will appear the same way they do in Photos?

iPhoto '11, Mac OS 9.0.x

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 3:32 PM

The Finder (which does the organizing outside of Photos) only sorts by File name or file date (not the image created date that Photos uses).

So to get the order you want you'll need to do the following:

1 - put the files in the order in Photos in an album.

2 - use this Applescript to batch change the Title to user selected text and a sequential following number: Photos for Mac - Batch Change Title to Text w/Padded Sequential No.

3 - select the photos again and export with this option: File Name - Use Title.

User uploaded file

That will produce file names that will sort alphanumerically in the Finder in the same order as they were in your Photos album.

User uploaded file

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2015 3:32 PM in response to Wepoccnr

The Finder (which does the organizing outside of Photos) only sorts by File name or file date (not the image created date that Photos uses).

So to get the order you want you'll need to do the following:

1 - put the files in the order in Photos in an album.

2 - use this Applescript to batch change the Title to user selected text and a sequential following number: Photos for Mac - Batch Change Title to Text w/Padded Sequential No.

3 - select the photos again and export with this option: File Name - Use Title.

User uploaded file

That will produce file names that will sort alphanumerically in the Finder in the same order as they were in your Photos album.

User uploaded file

Organizing photos transferred to a flash drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.