Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This Seems like a simple fix, why limit DVD Region switching?

Ok, so on both my Apple MacBook Pro 15" mid 2010 and on my brand new (non related company product) Sony Ps4, the Region Code for viewing dvd's from other countries "regions" are limited to 4 changes, this seems like a really easy fix, that would not cost Apple&(Sony), or dvd manufactures money. So Why limit the number of changes that can be made to the systems region... and why when I call apple and Sony, they tell me it is a "regional" decision where I purchased my laptop/ps4 and that the coding itself is not related to apple or controlled by them ? if not the manufacture of the product then WHO has control of what DVD I can watch on my laptop or gaming system... Is there a straightforward answer that can be given to me from a lead CEO at Apple or Sony??? I am really upset at the fact that something so simple as watching a DVD has become an international security concern for the companies of the ladder to take such a position as to limit the content available to people in a "free" country such as the USA... What is SO threatening about allowing people to watch a DVD from over here then watch one from over there, and so on and so on.... REALLY REALLY DUMB... is there a way to create a "multi regional" Unit? if not, why? what legislation document or bill is in place that limits this option for companies such as Apple and Sony, Who is in charge of what content is "acceptable and allowed" to be viewed by the consumers of the free USA. an answer other than "well thats just the way its been developed..." would be splendid...

multi corporation discussion. DVD's

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 1:55 PM

2 replies

Aug 25, 2015 2:35 PM in response to ADVEN_

Why limit the number of changes that can be made to the systems region...

This is a deliberate effort by DVD content-sellers to reduce piracy. DVDs stolen and reproduced for example, for the Asian region are then not sellable in the US region.

You are expected to limit your consumption of commercial DVDs to ONE Region. To reduce grumbling, they grudgingly agreed to allow you to change regions a tiny number of times. If they had their way, it would be none.

This Seems like a simple fix, why limit DVD Region switching?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.