Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost ATV - itunes connection, can't re-establish

Hi,

I'm hoping someone here can guide me through what ought to have been a simple process.

First, some background. I have an early model ATV (large silver-colored box with a hard drive inside, I don't know what gen) that used to work perfectly. Our entertainment system includes an Integra "does everything" box where all other components are connected, including the ATV. The Integra sports a second zone speaker output that can be selected: Play music in Zone 2 in the home office while someone else is watching TV, which is also switched through the Integra. The only problem with this setup is that the Integra requires analog inputs for any Zone 2 output, thus the need for the early generation ATV. This setup was working fine until a few months ago when the equipment was turned of for a few weeks while we were away. Yesterday was the first time we wanted to listen to iTunes through the ATV, and here's the problem.

I should note here that we also have a newer ATV (a small black cube) connected to the whole system that we use to access Netflix, etc.

Turning on the ATV we found that it no longer is connected, or should I say associated, with iTunes on my Mac. On the TV screen is this message:

Connect to iTunes:

To stream iTunes content to your Apple TV, open iTunes and select Apple TV from the devices list. You will need to enter a <five digit> password.

iTunes 9.02 or later is recommended.

I'm running iTunes version 12.2.2.25 (yes, that's part o the El Capitan installation) and when I open iTunes and click on the Devices button, only my iPad and the newer ATV appear. If I disconnect the newer ATV from the network, the older ATV still doesn't appear. I've rebooted both ATV devices and an app called IP Scanner shows both ATV devices on the network. They both show up separately on the TV when I select one or the other from my TV's menu. It's just that the older one can't communicate with iTunes and I can't pipe music through it.

Note: Steaming music via the newer ATV works just fine. In fact, I've been using an iPad app to control it and that works out great. I just can't get it to stream to Zone 2. :-(

Am I SOL because the older ATV is no longer supported in iTunes? Or is there a way to resolve this that I'm just not seeing.

Any insight into this situation would be greatly appreciated.

-Tod

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 10GB SDRAM 740 GB fusion drive

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 8:03 PM

You are using beta software, you won't find support for that here

2 replies

Aug 26, 2015 2:48 PM in response to vazandrew

Well, I thought it might be worth a shot anyway.

At any rate, a friend from IT at the local university came over and did something and now the problem is fixed. He says he tried several things and can't recall what did the trick. It's like those in the IT Guild have rules similar to magicians: Never reveal your knowledge to lesser mortals.

Lost ATV - itunes connection, can't re-establish

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.