Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine will not back up after Mac repaired

My Mac just had a major repair (video card & logic board replaced) Now I am finding I am having to re-register programs, redo settings etc. But in the case of Time Machine, it will not back up my computer any more after the repair. When I look at the Preferences it always gives me some time in the next 1/2 hour, but never does it. When I Control-Click Time Machine and choose "Back Up Now" nothing happens. I really would like it to work. I had a major problem before & relied on Carbonite & lost a bunch of stuff. Time Machine saved me a lot of grief when my Mac broke down this time.

mac pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 3:03 PM

8 replies

Aug 26, 2015 5:39 PM in response to BDAqua

The 1st suggestion Verify was fine of all 4 of my hard drives.

The 2nd ALMOST worked! I got it to start backing up, but I got a "Latest Backup: Failed" Then a box:

Time Machine Error

This backup is too large for the backup volume. The backup requires 1958.3 GB but only 1725.9 GB are available.

To select a larger volume, or make the backup smaller by excluding files, open System Preferences and choose Time Machine.

Also when I open up my back-up G-Drive it has re-named my hard drive as "Mac Pro 2" and has a separate folder from the original backups which were just called "Mac Pro." I never had any problems backing up everything before, and I can't believe that I added that much recently. It says "Available: 1.7 TB of 3.6 TB"

I also thought that Time Machine was supposed to delete your oldest backups in order to make room for new ones?

Aug 26, 2015 6:00 PM in response to saxman1.586

saxman1.586 wrote:

I never had any problems backing up everything before, and I can't believe that I added that much recently. It says "Available: 1.7 TB of 3.6 TB"

You probably have never replaced the entire innards of a Mac before 🙂

Time Machine thinks your Mac is a new machine - technically it is after a logic board is replaced. Start by checking that your system is named the same as the old one via the Sharing Preferences. Also check your HD is named the same as the old one.

Pondini explains how to inherit backups at http://pondini.org/TM/B6.html

Read the whole page but pay attention to the part…

If your Logic Board is replaced, you can make your new Mac "inherit" the backups of your old one, per the blue box below.

Time Machine will not back up after Mac repaired

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.