Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I launch Safari it opes with dozens of tabs that I don't want.

When I open Safari it opens with dozens of tabs try to open and renders Safari unusable. I force quit Safari and then relaunch with the **** key but it still opens with that window. What can I do? How can I reset or delete the Safari preferences? I can't find a Safari plist in the preferences or anywhere in the library.

Thanks.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 3:42 PM

8 replies

Aug 25, 2015 3:46 PM in response to Anthony Breuer

Unwanted tabs but Shift key doesn't help. It may be malware.

Force quit Safari using the Command + Option + Esc keyboard shortcut.

Then restart Safari. Download and run Malwarebyyes Anti-Malware for Mac formerly known as AdwareMedic. It's free.

Make sure Mac App Store and identified developers is selected in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General

If you would rather not download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, you can remove the malware manually following the instructions here > Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac - Apple Support

Aug 26, 2015 7:34 AM in response to Anthony Breuer

What OS are you using? If not 10.6, please update your profile to help others trying to help you.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.

Aug 27, 2015 6:49 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric, Many thanks for your reply.I really appreciate your help. Sorry for the delay. I got called away by a family matter.

This is my second computer and I should update my profile. This is a 5K iMac late 2014 with 32 gig ram, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB running 10.10.5.

I think I solved the issue by holding down the option key while choosing GO from the pull down menu on the tool bar. then choosing Library/Preferences from the dropdown menu and deleting the safari preferences. Safari is behaving normally now. Why do they make it so hard to access the user preferences and user library?

It used to be a lot easier to find and delete the user preferences.

Thanks again.

Tony Breuer

When I launch Safari it opes with dozens of tabs that I don't want.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.