Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New modem won't recognize Time Capsule

My old Comcast modem kicked the bucket last night so I bought a new one: a Motorola SURFboard SB6141. The modem works fine when plugged in via Ethernet, but when I plug in my Time Capsule, which I use as my wireless router, the modem's "link" light does not light up or flash and the Time Capsule continues to flash amber. I have tried unplugging and rebooting both devices, and nothing has changed. Some advice I've read on other sites has suggested resetting the Time Capsule, but that would be tragic, as I'd lose a lot of valuable files. Other people have talked about plugging the Time Capsule into a computer to adjust settings, but neither of my Mac computers has an Ethernet port. Any advice would be appreciated, particularly in layman's terms: I am NOT particularly tech savvy. 😉

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 7:00 PM

1 reply

Aug 26, 2015 1:38 AM in response to emfitzge

You bought the worst possible modem .. the TC is just simply incompatible with SB6141.

Apple blame modem manufacturer and manufacturer blame Apple.. but since every other router has no problems.. you can be pretty sure this is apple.

Is this an AC model TC? It is the worst.. but even earlier ones running 7.6.4 latest firmware can be bad.. go back to 7.6.1.

Sometimes a switch or crossover cable between the modem and the TC has worked.. but a simple cable modem is cheap.. try the zoom models.

Some advice I've read on other sites has suggested resetting the Time Capsule, but that would be tragic, as I'd lose a lot of valuable files.

Just to be clear.. a factory reset or any other reset will delete no files.. The reset is only for the router side of the TC.. your files are perfectly fine.

Other people have talked about plugging the Time Capsule into a computer to adjust settings, but neither of my Mac computers has an Ethernet port.

That is one of those new silly ideas Apple had.. instead of creating a small ethernet of low profile, they deleted ethernet completely.. however you can buy a Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter fairly cheaply at any apple store.. buy it now.. today.. you need it.

New modem won't recognize Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.