Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod wont connect or sync to itunes/itunes wont connect to the apple store/apple mobile device software wont start

I'm having a lot of issues here and im hoping someone can help me out!

I discovered this issue a few weeks ago, when i tried to sync my ipod (5th generation touch) to my itunes and download songs. My ipod charges when it's plugged in. but itunes wont recognize that its plugged in. i looked online to see if anything could help, and it told me to restart everything and update itunes manually. I did that, but when i tried to update itunes manually it would give me the error message: "The iTunes update server could not be contacted. Please check your internet connection, or try again later." I really didn't understand why this was happening because my internet was working just fine.

After that i just uninstalled and re-installed itunes onto my computer but all of my issues remained. so i ran network connectivity, device connectivity, and device sync diagnostics on itunes. The network connectivity tests told me that a secure link to itunes store failed. everything else was okay. so i clicked "help" next to it and it told me i cant connect to itunes because im not connected to the internet. i decided to just carry on with the diagnostics and see what else was wrong.

Next, the device connectivity tests. everything was okay except the apple mobile device is not running. i looked for a solution online. Online, people messed around with "restart/stop" options. mine didnt have that. it only had "start" on it. so i clicked that and it still gave me "the apple mobile device service on local computer started and then stopped. some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs." so, i went online to see if there was a solution to THAT issue. people messed around with switching the startup options to automatic. my mobile device software is already on automatic. nothing is working.

Also, the ports part of the test told me "no ipod, iphone, or ipad found." And at last, the sync tests told me that no ipod, iphone, or ipad was found.

I've already tried 3 different chords and nothing changed, so its not the chord that's the issue. I tried uninstalling everything apple off of my PC and restarting it and re-installing everything; all my problems still remained. i've tried installing itunes on a different laptop (a slow old one) and my ipod connected there and everything was fine, so there's nothing wrong with my ipod. (i want this issue to be fixed on my laptop, so switching PC's completely is out of the question). i've tried connecting my itunes account to someone else's wifi at multiple different places, and all my problems still remained, which means that the issue is not with my internet provider/ home wifi access.

All of these issues happened at once, so i've been thinking that theyre all linked. my biggest issue that is running me in circles is the mobile device service. nothing ive done so far has helped at all! if you can, please help me, thank you. (my ipod is the ipod touch 5, and i use an ASUS laptop with windows 7.)

iPod touch, Windows 7

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 6:48 PM

2 replies

Aug 27, 2015 7:13 AM in response to featherdusters

Hi, feather dusters.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

I understand that your computer will not recognize your iPod touch. I would start with manually installing the Apple Mobile Device Support driver. Go to the section in the article that you came from labeled Verify that the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is installed > Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 > If the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is not listed > Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8.

iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows

If the issue persists, try all remaining steps in the article that you have not gone through already. This may include completely uninstalling all components of iTunes and installing them again.

Cheers

Aug 27, 2015 11:05 AM in response to jason269

Hello, jason269.

I already tried all of this before and none of it helped.

in the step that says "restart your mobile device service" i am having an issue.

THIS is what my service SHOULD look like. it has both the stop and restart service buttons.

User uploaded file

and now THIS is what MINE looks like. it only has the "start" option.User uploaded file

when i go to click "start" however, i get this issue.

User uploaded file

i do not understand what is going on and i dont understand why. ive tried looking for an answer to this but i found none.

ALSO my startup reference is already on automatic. it's on automatic but it doesnt start up at all.User uploaded file

ive also tried uninstalling just the driver and re-installing it. i've tried uninstalling all apple and itunes stuff on my computer, and re-installing it. all of my issues still remain the same way. nothing has worked so far. i've never had this issue before.

I'm hoping you or someone can help me here... thank you.

ipod wont connect or sync to itunes/itunes wont connect to the apple store/apple mobile device software wont start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.